SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-- Content Warning --

Went to see my friendly surgeon today. Photo of his handy work is below.

Story goes like this -- in January my barber, bless her heart, said, "Hey, you've got a spot on your head you should have a doctor look at." A month later I saw my dermatologist. The biopsy she took indicated a "melanoma in situ". Fortunately, it's very treatable -- when you catch them this early all you do is have them cut out. All done!

Now my kids have been nagging me for years about sunscreen, but after a few months in the Caribbean sun in '05-'06 I was as brown as a native and didn't worry about sunscreen most days. BUT I did wear my hat!!!!

And as you can see below, it was not the right kind of hat.

So all you SailNetters out there, I know I may sound like a nag, but this summer when your in the sun and on the water, don't forget:

1. SUNSCREEN (higher number the better)

2. COVER UP (long sleeves / pants)

3. BROAD BILLED HAT (no holes)

I'm a lucky guy. My barber and my doctor caught it early. Don't let it happen to you! (and especially, don't let it happen to your kids, which the doctor says is usually when the initial skin damage is done).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yea right! You expect us to believe that? Looks like a backend lobotomy scar to me. Did you have much for them to remove?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for your post. A vivid warning that everyone should follow. Especially good advice about the kids.

Best of luck to your recovery and send a gift to your barber!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My wife is going to love you for this. She works in Oncology and is ALWAYS lathering me in sunscreen; and I hate it.

I'm very relieved to hear that you got it in time.

Thanks Billy

·
Registered
339 Posts
You mean the extra baggy shirt?......haha

seriously,.....just saw my Dermatologist yesterday.....had a few spots frozen....all good........you can never be too careful when it comes to sun protection.........lost a friend from that a few years back.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The position of the melanoma is very telling... I have and wear a Tilley hat much of the summer....

Don't forget sunglasses. The additional UV you get due to reflecting off the water really makes good sunglasses a necessity. UV exposure leads to cataracts and other eye problems...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Glad to hear it's ok.

I'm not a big sun person and usually prefer the shade and the Tilley is SOP when I'm not in the shade.

·
19,489 Posts
Good catch! You're lucky to have such an observant barber (and not too much hair there;) )

Timely warning, good post.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You have to remember to "freshen" the sunscreen on your nose more frequently as well, because the sunglasses you use to keep from getting cataracts focus rays on your nose, even if your face is shaded by a broadbrimmed hat.

My mother and grandmother both had sun-caused melanomas, and while they were treatable, I don't fool around anymore. I have a lot of moles on my arms and I'm thinking of having as many of them frozen off before we go tropical as I can convince a doctor to do.

Lastly, I wear Sperry sandals with a Topsider-type tread most of the summer. I notice that I develop neat rectangles of deeply tanned skin between the straps on the top of my feet, as well as "Caribbean toes". It makes sense, as those areas are getting direct, high angle sun. So I've taken to slathering sunscreen on here as well, particularly since I still have those "tan lines" six months later.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Valiente—

Be careful with your feet ... the straps move a bit and the areas at the edge of the straps are vulnerable to getting sun as they move, and may not be covered with sunscreen, so slather it on good.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't forget sunglasses. The additional UV you get due to reflecting off the water really makes good sunglasses a necessity. UV exposure leads to cataracts and other eye problems...
Good advice, SD. I had snow blindness about 20 years ago. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I'm still sensitive to bright sun, and now have to wear sunglasses even on bright overcast days. No cataracts or other eye problems yet, but I'm sure they'll be coming.

Thanks for the graphic warning, Billy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always protect my head... but have been worried about my arms. Anyone know if the ProwiK shirts are worth the $50? (I realize most long sleeve shirt would do the job... but for those really hot and humid days when I normally wear T-Shirts)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea right! You expect us to believe that? Looks like a backend lobotomy scar to me. Did you have much for them to remove?
No lobotomy, but prior to the procedure the surgeon and I agreed that if he needed to do a skin graft to close the wound, he'd take the skin from my shoulder. He said it would leave a scar.

So, I'm lying there on the table and the doc says he can close the wound left by the tumor excision without a skin graft. I said, "Well, there goes my chance to make up a war story about when I caught a bullet in the shoulder."

He says, "Tell them you took one in the back of the head and you're one tough dude!" :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Be aware that a lot of clothes have little, if any, sun protection value, especially when wet. Cotton is one of the worst offenders... people put on a light cotton long-sleeve shirt, thinking it will protect them, and it won't.

Columbia and several other companies have clothing that has an UPF rating. IIRC, these are rated even when wet... but not positive on that point. A major advantage of this clothing is that it doesn't need to be reapplied and designed with vents and such for hot conditions.

If you need the maximum UV protection, get the UPF 50 rated clothes...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another source of sun protective clothing is Sun Precautions - Online Shop . I've bought a number of their shirts and they work great.

I really need to get NO sun. I'm a perfect test for sunscreens, as I burn in minutes as a result of a disease that hit me about 20 years ago... Oddly enough, every time I find a sunscreen that really works and it tolerable to wear, it seems to disappear. The first was Coppertone Shade. An amazing product. It was a gel that felt like aftershave putting it on and was very effective. It went away...

Next, I found a gel by Neutrogena. Not quite as comfortable to wear as Shade, but very effective.

As we are preparing for a little trip, I find that I can't find it anywhere. Back to messy lotions...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts