SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is "proper" to display below your boat's name........the location where the boat is in the water or the owners home town?????? I've seen lots of both, but was curious if one is correct.

Thanks,

Dale

·
19,488 Posts
Not sure what's "proper", but we see a lot of boats on the west coast from "Calgary" and "Edmonton" and "LasVegas" and other such land-locked cities/towns - so as you say it's done either way.

Many of these were large enough to need to be properly Registered... presumably in the named 'port'.

·
Just a Member
272 Posts
I agree with Faster. I asked that question a couple of years ago because I live in a land-locked city and have my boat on Lake Erie. Was I to put my home city name or the marina city name on the transom? Basically, the responses were whatever you want to do. I know at my marina, it is a mix.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
If you register a boat, it must be a port of entry. If licensed it can be anything. (at least in Canada).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Where you live or where the boat lives, either is fine.

We have a boat on our dock with Council Bluffs, Iowa on the stern. Probably not much use for a bluewater cruiser there!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
US Coast Guard regs don't care. You can use your home town or wherever you keep the boat.

I used my landlocked home town. It costs $80 to change the documentation and since the boat is more likely to move than I am, Hometown it was, even though "Stingray Point" sounds a lot cooler.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If your boat is USCG documented then you have to display the name and "home port" of the boat. The "home port" can, however, be any place that you would like to pick.

I have no idea what the regulations are elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Traditionally, the hailing port is a place where you are "known" so that if the boat is found, they know where to start looking for the owner or relatives.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Dale, "proper" has no meaning here. The boat's identification, including name and home port, need to conform to the legal requirements in your venue.

USCG documented? State registered? UK or CA flagged?

Ask whoever made you pay to register the boat, they'll tell you what and how they want it painted on, right down to the allowable size, position, and typefaces that you can use for it.

Beware that if your home port is not going to match the place where your boat actually spends time at a dock or mooring--the tax men come looking for that, and usually send you a bill for taxes to be paid in the location where the boat really "lives".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts