SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The admiral didn't like the old hard dinghy (instability getting on & off) and decided to buy a new, inflatable with aluminum bottom; very nice and light, and can be stored ahead of the mast, while on dock.

I want identify the dinghy, but wonder what is the best method of doing so.
I'm thinking of placing the id on the inflatable area, pt & sb, as it's the most visible place. The transon is too small and with the kiker on, it's almost invisible.

Has anyone "painted" their dinghies name? what did you use? Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
my boat is named "SALTY DAWG" if i get a real dingy the wife wants to name it either salty puppy or peppery puppy. she named the boat and will name the dingy, when do i get a choice?

·
Wind and pie move my boat.
428 Posts
Is it because sometimes you're dink " has left the building " so to speak ??? My dink has tried to run home to momma a couple of times . I have a very willful & ill behaved dink . Seems like every time I climb in it's an adventure . Does anyone else have any experience with a possessed dinghy ????

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
my Oday's name is "keeled over" my dink when it's built will be called "A lil Keeled Over"

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
My wife is a Monty Python fan, my son is seven and a half and I'm a graphic designer with a Portabote and a nesting dinghy. Guess which is named which?

You've got way too much free time on your hands... :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Suggested by the mrs....

Boat name: Grey Goose
Dink name: Vermouth or Olive

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Just a thought, for what is it is worth and secondhand at that.

Our friends, who cruised for six years said:

"Don't put your boat name on your dingy as it is a message to potential nefarious persons that there is nobody out on your boat at anchor."

That said - our last boat was Gypsy Rover II, our dingy was Gypsy Rover Too

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Elvis became the watchdog on Sonny Crockett's boat, "St. Vitus Dance."
Ding Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!

congrats BL. You even got the name of the E-42 correct.

For the bonus round, what was the boat used in the pilot episode? It was not the E-42.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
Has anyone "painted" their dinghies name? what did you use? Do you have any suggestions?
I use 5 inch stencils and a couple of Magnum Tip Sharpie Markers on my inflatable. Once I got the name on there the first time using the stencils, I just freehand on a fresh coat of Sharpie Ink about twice a season. Takes about 10 minutes to apply, dries immediately and it holds up pretty well.

Boat Name = Barking Dog
Dink Name = Woofers

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Just a thought, for what is it is worth and secondhand at that.

Our friends, who cruised for six years said:

"Don't put your boat name on your dingy as it is a message to potential nefarious persons that there is nobody out on your boat at anchor."
We've also heard the flip side of this argument - that if your dink does get away, any good samaritans in the achorage know who to return it to.

Our last boat was "BassAckwards" and the dinghy had "Front" painted on its transom. Our current boat is "Cinderella" and our new RIB is "Pumpkin"

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
We've also heard the flip side of this argument - that if your dink does get away, any good samaritans in the anchorage know who to return it to.
Excellent point - we have friends in our club on the east coast of Canada who lost their inflatable "somewhere" on the coast of Maine. They had their name and phone number painted on the underside of the seat. About three weeks later, they got a call from the US Coast Guard, who had been phoned by a lobster man who had found it floating. Got it back. There are good samaritans out there!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts