SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

OK - I have been trying to get this NanoStation2 to work for three weeks. I think I am doing everything right. We are sitting in a neat bay and I can "see" three open networks.

I get lots of bars when I set it up. I adjust the antenna and get more bars, but I cannot get a web page nor check my email.

So - I am just about ready to throw it in the ocean, but first I had the ethernet cable to the Commodore, she plugs it in her Macintosh and immedialety downloads 45 emails.

What gives?

Does it just not like me?

So - I am keying this in from her Mac.

Ugggg!

Rik

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
All I had to do was say nasty things about it. I plugged it back into my Dell, did "something" (and that is the operative word - I wish I knew what I did, and now I got my email.

Oh well - maybe tomorrow I can do the "something" again and get my email.

Cheers all

Rik and Linda
Mystery
Irwin Citation 34
trip blog at: Mystery - the Trip Home

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
All I had to do was say nasty things about it. I plugged it back into my Dell, did "something" (and that is the operative word - I wish I knew what I did, and now I got my email.
Not running Windows (I assume that's what you're running) right now, so I'm going to have to wing it from memory.

Make sure the wired Ethernet interface is enabled. On that connection, make sure the TCP/IP properties are set for "obtain address" and so-on "automatically."

That'll probably do it. Since you had it working, if you don't press any "buttons" you don't know, it'll probably keep working :)

Jim

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
LOL... rik, it isn't the NS2...it is windows that is screwing you up... since it is working for the mac just fine. :)

Leaving the PC's ethernet port in DHCP mode is very important. If you were more tech-oriented, I would mention that multihoming the Ethernet card can be very, very useful, since it allows you to leave it in DHCP mode, yet address the NS2 via its default network settings without touching anything. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
SD...now you've done it!.....you've got to explain multihoming the ethernet.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Dont forget to TURN OFF YOUR WIFI SWITCH. My wife's computer wouldnt work with the nanostation until she turned the computers own wireless off. The computer "sees" the nanostation as a wired connection and it seems that leaving the wireless switch on confused it. On the other hand, who the hell knows what works and what doesnt? It is all voodoo to me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This is going to be an extremely difficult thing to assist you with via a web forum, as there is a huge list of potential issues. As SD said, there are windows issues, but there are also potential issues with your hardware and the hardware specific drivers.

Can you call support for either the wifi router or the laptop, or both? They can probably talk you through it.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts

Can you call support for either the wifi router or the laptop, or both? They can probably talk you through it.
This group and the good people on it seem to be the only support for the NS2.

Thanks all - I do appreciate the help.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The NanoStation2 DOES NOT REQUIRE DRIVER INSTALLATION... this is one major reason I recommend it. It is a WiFi Router or WiFi-to-Ethernet bridge, depending on what setting you pick for it. It connects to the computer via an ETHERNET connection.

This is going to be an extremely difficult thing to assist you with via a web forum, as there is a huge list of potential issues. As SD said, there are windows issues, but there are also potential issues with your hardware and the hardware specific drivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts