SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I think you are right. I think most folks who have waited through the winter to sell a boat are probably patient enough to present it cleanly to optimize selling price. The snow isn’t even gone, and it’s still muddy as a stable.

The P18 I looked at yesterday was tempting other than the inability of the seller to even vouch for the centerboard, and if I believed it was the best chance I’m going to get all season, I might have made an offer. I don’t believe that. Regarding Sandpipers, I’ve never seen the Canadian version, although the Marshall catboat of the same name would be ideal.

Do you happen to know what the customs rate is on bringing a boat across from Canada to the US? I know Canada charges a 10% tariff on new boats heading in the other direction.

It seems to me that there is an exponential increase in difficulty of solo mast stepping as one goes from 15 (painless), to 17 (ok), to 19 (challenging) to 21 (forbidding). We only did it once a season, so we never really worked out a mechanically assisted method, but raising the mast on my father’s Johnson C-scow was also a bit of a balancing act. Doing that every time out would not be conducive to sailing often.
The OP might check the cats for sale at the Catboat Association website: https://www.catboats.org/page/Cats4Sale_179

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi...I own and LOVE a Sanibel 18...Its a stable and dry little boat...the mast goes up easily with a custom gin pole set up from Duckworth...I added a very large furling Genoa and it really helped sailing performance inj light to medium air..

The centerboard setup is terrific!!! board is lite enuf to come up w/o a winch...and design of the boat produced a very stable but also verfy fun boat to sail

Best of all...It draws only 8 to 10 inches of water!!! Ive ownws several centerboard and keel centerboard boats...I think you would be very happy with the Sanibel...it does everything you want!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi...I own and LOVE a Sanibel 18...Its a stable and dry little boat...the mast goes up easily with a custom gin pole set up from Duckworth...I added a very large furling Genoa and it really helped sailing performance inj light to medium air..

The centerboard setup is terrific!!! board is lite enuf to come up w/o a winch...and design of the boat produced a very stable but also verfy fun boat to sail

Best of all...It draws only 8 to 10 inches of water!!! Ive ownws several centerboard and keel centerboard boats...I think you would be very happy with the Sanibel...it does everything you want!!!
I looked at a Sanibel last year and I was impressed, but I ended up with a Com-Pac Suncat about a year ago. Great little boat single-handed or with friends, and simply can't be beat for trailer sailing. Hinged mast and gaff rig make it lightening quick into the water and rigged. I re-rigged it for 2020 today and I plan to add an ePropulsion Spirit soon. Less time maintaining outboard = more time on lakes.

Glad you found yourself a great boat. You'd sail circles around me with that Genoa, but I'm not in a hurry.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts