SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Libations Too P323
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed the benefits of my NASA AIS receiver and display for several years. I especially enjoy the fact that it is a low AH user and that it is a stand alone device, needing only GPS input.

I now have a problem. When the unit is powered up it displays nearby targets as it always has done. However, within a few minutes it "drops" these targets and shows a blank screen (no nearby targets). If I power it off/on it again or go to the threshold/sensitivity screen and then back to the radar screen it detects nearby targets again...but drops them after a few minutes.

I have had a good email exchange with NASA and they are recommending that I buy and install an new firmware chip that promises to fix this "dropped target" problem and update the firmware to receive SART signals and make a few other improvements.

My question: Has anyone else been down this path? Is the firmware chip easy to install? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

·
Libations Too P323
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to close the loop on this issue just in case others have similar problems.

I had a very helpful and courteous email exchange with NASA MARINE regarding my problem. They recommended that I purchase and install a new chip that included upgraded firmware. For less than $25 I figured I didn't have much to lose so I ordered the new chip from the UK as recommended.

It took a long time for the part to get here...but the upgrade chip arrived a couple days ago. I installed the chip and took the instrument back to the boat, hooked up the antenna, GPS feed, and power and all worked as it should.

NASA MARINE service and support were great. I'll admit that I was worried that I had a dead instrument that would cost several hundred dollars to replace but this $23 fix was a great Christmas present!

·
Libations Too P323
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Half the cost was for shipping the new chip from the UK. Remember, this was for an 8 year old instrument. I can think of many other products where my query would have been answered with a note that the product had been discontinued and a suggestion that I buy the new version for several hundred dollars. This happened to me when my Garmin GPS unit stopped providing tide data.

Given the utility and service life of the NASA MARINE instrument and their courteous and prompt responses to my questions I am happy with the way that this was resolved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Half the cost was for shipping the new chip from the UK. Remember, this was for an 8 year old instrument. I can think of many other products where my query would have been answered with a note that the product had been discontinued and a suggestion that I buy the new version for several hundred dollars. This happened to me when my Garmin GPS unit stopped providing tide data.

Given the utility and service life of the NASA MARINE instrument and their courteous and prompt responses to my questions I am happy with the way that this was resolved.
Excellent service for an 8 year old unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts