SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, we've thoroughly enjoyed our time in the Bahamas, but now that rainy season is upon us it's time to head north. Our original plan was to head to Ft. Lauderdale and do some work there, but another boat we first met in Charleston showed up here yesterday and they are heading right back up there tomorrow. We're going to buddy boat with them and will be leaving tomorrow for the 540nm trek back north. I posted some more info on our blog, and you can follow along with our SPOT track in realtime. Just follow the "Tracking us" link on the right hand side of our blog page.

Our blog is at s/v Pelican - Following A Dream.

Chris

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
Chris,

Your blog is a true inspiration!

In about a years time I will hopefully do the same passage. Can't wait.

Fair Winds / Jorgen

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You may run into my wife in Charleston, Labatt, as she left with her skipper, her fellow crew and a new boom from Port St. Lucie today, headed for Charleston. Fair winds.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
I was hoping you would stop by again in Miami where we can raft up again.. Darn the luck. So fair winds, smooth seas and hope the barbie pole catches a big one in the gulf stream. Give the family my best!

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.

Melissa - we had planned on being in FL again, but time got away from us, a weather window presented itself and here we are, loading the dinghy on the foredeck. We'll see you again next November or, if you come up to Annapolis for the boat show, we'll see you there!

Valiente - We'll look for her. We expect to arrive on Saturday as long as we don't have to duck in someplace else. Hopefully the weather will be stable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
labatt,

I have no input on your question but I've been reading your blog off an on for the past couple days. Really well done and very interesting. I think it's great what you're doing and wish you and your family the best of luck.

Kevin

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a couple of issues including the fact that our nav lights have a short, plus the buddy boat we were with had engine issues, so we slowed down to be able to assist if necessary (which is the good thing about buddy boating). They ended up JUST making it into a boatyard that we contacted via our satellite phone - a bearing on their fresh water pump went. We're working on getting an electrician here this afternoon to help us track down this short - we just can't find it - and then we're hoping to head out in the morning. We ended up using a Davis Light on the stern and a dinghy red/green suction cup for the bow, but we need to get this sorted out before we spend a few more days at sea.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are NASTY here! My son came on the boat 20 minutes ago - they have fruit flies here, but they BITE! His first introduction... Of course they just raised rates here - $3.05/ft + $24 for power + $15 (mandatory) for water. It was $2/foot two weeks ago. Nice amenities though! We have an electrician coming in the morning, so hopefully we'll be outta here by 11am, Bahamian time.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
labatt, if you make it up to the chessy with the lights still being wonky i can look at em, either annapolis, rock hall, or baltimore inner harbor. i am cheap, i work for soda.

i am not a true boat sparky but a master sparky on land, who is pretty good at trouble shooting, and decent on boats too.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Turns out the generator was just a clogged water intake. We blew it out with a dinghy pump and we're good - hopefully no impeller damage, but the flow looks like it should. The short in the nav lights was in the run between our anchor locker and through our bow pulpit. We jury rigged a new pair of wires for now so we can have lights and we'll fix them the right way when we have time to pull our bow pulpit off. Anyway, we're outta here and on our way to Charleston - about 400nm and we should hopefully be there Sunday evening. The SPOT is on...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good to hear the problems were relatively simple and inexpensive. Fair winds labatt. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts