SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
Some time back we had a NautiCat owner on board SailNet and they were in the main positive about their boat but I seem to remember two points.

1. The sliding doors posed an insurance issue for offshore use.

2. One of the owners found the motion unacceptable. Again from memory only but I seem to recall something about the height of the aft deck being the problem.

I dare say that era NC would be something of a motor sailor in light airs but for the coconut run should be fine though maybe sailing ability would be more of an issue once you are tromping around Australia and/or heading home.

As I said I'm going off my somewhat faulty memory from days past. User was maybe TrueBlue ? They havn't posted here for some years but do a search of that name and have a read.

Someone else has a Nauticat as well don't they ?

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
I will add stuff as it comes to mind.

The showers drain into the bilge - not wise in my opinion.
erkk .... why oh why would anyone do this ? The smell is gonna get you.

My only other thought is that before we bought our current boat we did seriously consider a pilot house/deck saloon albeit not Nauticats themselves and one of the major reasons for not going PH was heat through those big windows. For the PNW I'd not argue and would almost certainly go PH but not for the tropics.

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
Kimberleys - stinking hot, same goes for Queensland (thats where the big reefy thing skulks) and all over the top end much the same. Further south while it gets hot in summer we have generally balmier conditions. You'll also be up there in what we laughingly call winter cos summer they have some mighty cyclones that i have on good authority can be a bugger to sail through. ;)

Killarney is a good man to talk to about the top end as he and his good lady wife sailed through there last year. Any advice he'd give you is well worth the taking.

Ref the cockpit and general comfort, I'd think you could make that aft deck a very comfortable place to hang when at anchor and decent awnings make all the difference when the sun is blazing down. You'd probably just need to make sure you had plenty of ventilation and a decent wind scoop for the forward hatch. Air Con is probably a waste of time as you'd not spend much time shore powered in the places you mention. Oh yes, and a decent grill cos you'll not want to do much cooking inside. Up north it can be very dry indeed but it rains it buckets down so you'll want those covers to allow you to live outside even when its raining. We have our girl set up so that even in the heaviest downpours the cockpit stays dry and most importantly remains ventilate.

I'm afraid I'll not be of much help re performance and SA/D ratios but that's why god gave us Jeff_H. :)

We have had btw a Canadian Roberts Spray Schooner hanging about Sydney Harbour of late and while I didn't get the opportunity to speak with them that thing looked designed for an Alaskan winter and they seemed happy enough. Maybe it is what you do with what you have is the key.

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.