SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to sailing and have been enjoying very much the videos posted on YouTube. Recently I have come across several sailing tips from NauticEd and they have online sailing lessons that have some type credentials. Their website and videos are well done and their prices are inexpensive but the need for their credentialing and badges seems odd to me. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
Welcome to SailNet.

In a nutshell, there is no need for anyone's "credentialing" except, in the U.S., if you live in those states that require a safe boating certificate.

If you wish to bareboat charter (no hired captain) a boat in the future, having a course under your belt like those provided by American Sailing Association or US Sailing are preferred along with the actual sailing experience.

Going through the NauticEd training won't hurt you at all.

A good sailor never stops learning.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just an FYI.. I signed up for the NauticEd bareboat course..Although I have found some bugs with the website, I'M OVERJOYED with the material. Very thorough and well thought. Not boring and easy to understand. Well worth the $$$...

I actually think many cruisers overlook NauticEd. They are stuck on ASA or the other mainstream certs and don't realize NauticEd has become recognized now. If you are cruiser, you can become bareboat certified for $175. You also have to prove you captained a boat larger than 30 feet for 50 days, but that is stupid easy for a cruiser.

My advice.. Buy some NauticEd courses, you will not be disappointed. They are worth every penny..

I have no affiliation with NauticEd, just a happy customer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I happen to be the type of person that jumps first then wants to know how deep the water is on my way down. So I am really happy to have used this forum prior to making the purchase. Actually Donna sold me when she said, a good sailor never stops learning.. But travellerw satisfied customer response has me reaching for my visa. Thanks again both of ypu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.