SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''m looking for a relatively inexpensive pocket calculator <$50, that converts decimal degrees into degrees, minutes, seconds (or better yet into degrees minutes, decimal minutes). Can anyone recommend one they have used or seen?

·
Registered
734 Posts
You don''t need to spend any money if you have a simple calculator with the four basic functions. Her is how simple it is to convert decimal degrees into to degrees, minutes and seconds. For example take the position 42.45894 degrees. Drop the whole number and multiply the numbers to the right of the decimal point by 60 and you get 27.5364, so 27 is the minutes. Drop the whole number and multiply 60 by the numbers to the right of the decimal point and you get 32, this is the number of seconds. The actual product of the last calculation is 32.184 so you round to the nearest whole number. The correct answer is 42 degrees, 27 minutes and 32 seconds. Send me the $50.00

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may also have noticed that the "four basic functions" you cite will allow you to do virtually any calculation. Why settle for $50, I''ll nominate you to the Nobel Selection Committee - your observation is certainly worth the next prize in mathematics.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Why not buy a standard E6B aviation computer? It''s basically a circular slide rule that also does relative motion, fuel calcs, t-s-d, set and drift, and lots of other neat stuff. It''s much better than an electronic calculator because you can visualize navigation problems on the wind face.

You can order one for under $25 at Sporty''s Pilot Shop. You also don''t need to buy batteries.

Dave...

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Dave, I''ll have a look. My application is for a course I''m taking that involves adding lat/long geographic coordinates, calculating delta distances and converting back and forth between deg/min/sec and deg.decimal. Time is of the essence on the final exam!

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts