SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to keep the old fixtures and want to replace the old bulbs with new LED bulbs, The (double contact, bayonet) LED bulbs that I've found are not for use as Nav. lights. I need a light bulb primer. John

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Jmac62—

If you're really going to go with LED navigation lighting to save power, please get USCG certified LED navigation lights instead of using the replacement bulbs, unless the bulbs are USCG certified for use in the fixtures you have. Not doing so is penny-wise and pound foolish IMHO.

The price of the LED-based navigation lights has dropped remarkably in the last few years. The other advantage of going with a new LED-based fixture is that most of them are fairly well sealed and far more corrosion proof than the base contacts on a traditional light fixture.

The main reason I am recommending you go with a USCG certified fixture or fixture/lamp combination is that if you are ever involved in a collision where the visibility of your LED navigation lights becomes an issue, and you're not using USCG certified navigation lights, the opposing lawyers will have you for lunch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.