SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (new to me) 1986 Bristol 35.5 still has what appear to be the original stainless steel nav lights attached to the original brackets (i.e. the "take out the bulb mount from the bottom, take out bottom retaining screw, loosen the backing nuts and lift up to get off" set up). The plastic is beyond repair (non existent in stern light). I'm wondering what others have done when replacing the nav lights - what manufacturer and type, and if/how you've attached the new lights to the existing old brackets.

Thanks,

Annapolitan

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
MarineBeam sells fully contained LED nav lights that comply with USCG visibility requirements.

If your old fixtures were in good shape (sounds like they are not), they also sell self-contained LED replacement bulbs for most old plug-in bulbs.

Reactions: Annapolitan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarineBeam sells fully contained LED nav lights that comply with USCG visibility requirements.

If your old fixtures were in good shape (sounds like they are not), they also sell self-contained LED replacement bulbs for most old plug-in bulbs.
Minnewaska, thanks for this. Very helpful. All the old fixtures (the original Peters Bey stainless steel housings and the bottom-entry bulb housings) are removable and in great shape, but the plastic in stern light is non existent and the plastic in bow lights is horribly crazed so replacing the bulbs is unfortunately the issue. It seem there's no way to get the original fixture apart to replace just the plastic even if you can find just that part which is not possible. Might try sanding plastic out, but don't know how much success I'll have.

Yeah, I see the various possibilities for new fully-contained lights from a variety of manufactures and know how to do the electrical splicing. I guess I'll have to figure out the bracketing because none of the new fixtures I've found match the existing bracket structures.

Cheers,

Annapolitan

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Yeah, I see the various possibilities for new fully-contained lights from a variety of manufactures
There are two things to keep in mind, when buying replacement LED bulbs/fixtures. First is that they are the proper brightness for the fixture. The USCG specifies this. Second, they are designed not to interfere with the radios. There was a USCG notice a few years back that requires us all to test this, because so many cheap LEDs were causing radio problems. I put a full boat of interior and exterior MarineBeam replacement bulbs (est 60 in total) and no problems.

·
Registered
674 Posts
SIGNAL MATE. I put a LED tricolor/anchor on top and a combo bow light the next year. I had already replaced the stern light with something else.. LED is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts