SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the nav lights on my H37c since they are 30 years old. The light housing is in great shape since it is solid stainless, however the lenses are damaged by the wheather and u.v.rays. The color is gone and the lenses brittle. Cannot find replacement lenses so a new set is going up. I am going L.E.D.
I am courious as to the lights themselves. I have a bi color on the bow pulpit and white at stern. I also have a steaming light half way up the mast that incorporates a sorry deck light. However I also have a tri color on the top of the mast?? but not a 360 anchor light.
Do I need this tri color on top of the mast or do I need an anchor light??

Your opinions are welcomed

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Ideally both are good to have - the anchor light for the obvious and the trilight when sailing offshore - but close to shore and marine traffic the bicolor and stern light are easier to see as people are less likely to look up.
Brian

·
Registered
94 Posts
The LED anchor lights with a photo cell that turns them on at dark and off in the morning are neat. When you leave the boat on the anchor during the day, you can flip on your anchor light circuit breaker but not deplete your batteries burning the light during the day. Likewise, you can't forget to turn it off.... It may not matter much for weekend sailing but saving electricity makes a huge difference when you are living away from the dock.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I just replaced the both bow lenses for $7.00, if you want to keep the OME housing let me know and I'll go get you a set and ups them to ya on tuesday ( I don't work mondays ) or you can call San Diego Marine Exchange or Downwind Marine and get them direct

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
I just replaced the both bow lenses for $7.00, if you want to keep the OME housing let me know and I'll go get you a set and ups them to ya on tuesday ( I don't work mondays ) or you can call San Diego Marine Exchange or Downwind Marine and get them direct
I need some new light covers too.

poopdeck...Did you get that varnish done yet? ;-)

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Do I need this tri color on top of the mast or do I need an anchor light??

Your opinions are welcomed
Guidera48,

If the choice must be one or the other - choose an anchor light. The tri-color is a substitute for your side-lights anyway. They are not to be used together.

An anchor light may not keep you from getting hit but is the first line of defense in the litigation that follows! Get one.

Wayne

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was lucky, I went to replace my anchor light and add a tri color and found it already had a 3 wire run and was only useing 2 wires. I had assumed that I would need a new wire.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
A good solution for the top of the mast is the Orca Green combo anchor light/tricolor. I plan on getting one in the next few months. If you only have two wires going up the mast, the Orca Green adds a switch that reverses the polarity of the circuit and switches between the tricolor and the anchor light. They aren't cheap, but I know others that have one and say it's great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your help. I guess it is a bi color, stern, anchor and steaming. That will keep me legal.

Thanks for your gracious offer, poopdeckpappy . I will call monday and make arrangements for replacement lenses.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd second the OGM Tri/Anchor LED light. It is a very good thing to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts