SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a bit of knowledge with several packages and would be happy to share my two cents with you. Drop me an email if interested.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.
I will be cruising extensively in about one year. I''ve used gps and radar while commercial fishing off Hatteras but have no experience with chartploters and computer software for navigation. Could you advise me on the user friendlyness and other important features by brand and what you recommend.
I intend to have air speed/dir,depth,gps,radar,autopilot, and a chartplotter worked in here somehow. It would be absolutely necessary to have this info repeated up to the cockpit.

Thanks again,

kw mcculloch

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without endorsing the site or the software, take a look at www.capjack.com which provides a comparison of the major commercial navigations software. As I recall there''s a pretty comprehensive list of components compared. I''ve used The Capn and found it almost more than needed. It reads most raster graphic charts on the market. Nobeltec produces a similar program which I''ve tried in an older version. I was pretty impressed by the more seamless and quicker screen updates of the Nobeltec product. Both seem to be the leaders and would give you GPS, radar, and other equipment interfacing capabilities. Neither reads vector graphics charts.
Chartplotters have something to recommend but if I were to spend the equivalent money, I''d go with computer stuff given its versatility and other available applications.
There''s lots more to say and think about. As all the manufacturers and commentators caution, don''t even think of using electronic charting alone.
As I mentioned in my last reply, I''d be happy to talk or "chat" via email. Drop me a line at [email protected]
Tim L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts