SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Raymarine e series chartplotter with Navionics gold charts and while these charts have lots of auxiliary information on them (marinas, fuel docks, etc. ) they appear to be missing some basic navigational information. Most notably I don't see the light characteristics of any lighted buoys ( Fixed, Flashing, Quick Flashing etc.). Now I know these charts have 'layers' that can be turned on and off but I've not found a layer with this information on it. Am I missing something or do these charts just not provide this data?

TCS

·
Registered
337 Posts
You have to look into the menues of your plotter.

Navionics {gold} is the chart data base. It does contain lighthouse, boys and other usual things.

Your plotter is the thing used to display the data. It has settings (usually far too many). There you are likely to find how to turn on the right layeer(s).

Hint: Flashed, lighthouses etc are mainly used for night time navigation. During daytime, it is good if these are not visible on the plotter / chart, as they just clutter the picture.
Night time is another issue. Then you do want to see the lights, but some other info is redudant.
Consequently many plotter manufaturers have daytime and nighttime settings. Sometimes this is manual, somtime controlled by the time.
As Ray is a quality mark one would guess that they have made everything automated - check your manual and settings.

Best

/J

PS: I use Navionics as well, with another plotter mark. Night & day

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J,

I will have another look at the different layers and check it after dark to see if it's somehow linked to time of day (I doubt it, but you never know). Is this information available on your plotter with Navionics charts?

TCS

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a classic C-80, a much older model than yours, and it's in there.

Take a look in the menu, under Cartographic options. Make sure "Light Sectors" is selected.

-tk

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Are you running the latest firmware? There was a firmware before Lighthouse II that made a lot of the buoys disappear for me. It was one that was only available for a few weeks last summer before they upgraded it to fix it.

Lighthouse II (which came out in Jan) is a big improvement in general and you should upgrade your e-Series. If you have an e7 note that there is also a recall on the touch screen and that you can send it in to get a replacement unit. That will come with the latest firmware installed.

A big upgrade with Lighthouse II is that you can download US charts from Raymarine for free (instead of paying Navionics).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex,

I updated to LightHouse II two weeks ago. Still don't see the light characteristics of the buoys. I'm starting to think it's just not included in the chart data. I may try the LightHouse charts.

TCS

·
Registered
9 Posts
TCS,
I have Navionics Gold charts on my E-80, and get the light characteristics by putting the cursor on the buoy/light and am promoted to press "OK" for detailed info. It has all the light details, e.g. Color, type of flash, frequency, just as if you had looked it up in the Light List.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rhpike - you are correct on how to bring up the light sector information. great job. I know that some plotter mfg do make them light up on the charts, Navionics and Raymarine do not have this feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randy,

I did eventually figure it out but mine is a little more complicated. You move the cursor to the light in question and drill down through a few menu options and you will eventually get a very complete description of the light. It does have the advantage of keeping the chart uncluttered.

TCS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts