SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of problems with iSailor (it won't install charts on my new iPad and their support is atrocious), I am switching to iNavx. So far I've just installed the free NOAA raster charts for the eastern seaboard. I sail on the Chesapeake and generally within about 40 miles of Baltimore, so not a great need.

Today iNavx offered a sale on Navionics charts. Are these better? More detailed? what would be the advantages? The only problem so far with the NOAA charts is they don't quilt going from one chart to another but given that I sail an Alberg 35, usually at about 4 knots, I don't see this as a real problem.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I hear you about ISailor - horrible interface and crashed all the time on me.

I prefer the Navionics charts myself , but mainly because I am used to them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Because of problems with iSailor (it won't install charts on my new iPad and their support is atrocious), I am switching to iNavx. So far I've just installed the free NOAA raster charts for the eastern seaboard. I sail on the Chesapeake and generally within about 40 miles of Baltimore, so not a great need.

Today iNavx offered a sale on Navionics charts. Are these better? More detailed? what would be the advantages? The only problem so far with the NOAA charts is they don't quilt going from one chart to another but given that I sail an Alberg 35, usually at about 4 knots, I don't see this as a real problem.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I sail out of Annapolis and have been using iNavx for a couple of years. Opted for the Fugawi Aboard USA quilted NOAA raster charts available through iNavx for something like $15/year.

I find the quilted charts to be pretty convenient, automatically switching between charts and charts of different scales. fyi, I use my iPad at the helm, iNavx on my phone as a backup, and always carry an up to date paper chartbook.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just go OpenCPN and don't look back.
I would love to and I will the day it's available for iOS. I use iPads and iPhone for navigation (with paper charts available of course). I've tried running openCPN on my Mac and using a terminal to view the screen on the iPad but it's just too uncertain and clunky. If someone is doing this successfully, I'd love to know what program you are using on the iOS side.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hey,

I have a B&G Vulcan 7FS, and an iPhone. I had Nautic Insight charts but I recently bought Navionics charts for the Vulcan, and the Navionics Boating app for my iPhone.

So far I like Navionics a lot. They display tides, currents, have links for weather and local marinas, etc. The quilting works great and the chart update speed is very good too. The version I have supports dock to dock autorouting, which seems pretty cool.

Barry

·
12,174 Posts
I have Navionics on my Raymarine plotter and iPhone and I pad. User friendly. I like all its features especially the currents

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I use iNavEx extensively. I have only the same free NOAA charts.

My charts quilt as you say, they move from one chart to the next. Seamless.

I would email iNavEx about this issue. Their support has generally been very good.

I personally don’t like Navionics or any vector charts. I like looking at the same presentation i see when I look at paper charts.

Now I do use Navionics for some planning purposes, so if the deal is cheap enough why not?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Buggers didn’t make me the same offer!

·
Señor Member
575 Posts
Try the "Boating" App from Navionics. Two week full featured trial and then $10 or $15 for the year. They use soundings uploaded from their chartplotter user base to generate an impressive "Sonar Chart". You can also plan your route from your PC, and it will be available your tablet and or phone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts