SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a rebuilt M15 or it's replacement for my Pearson 28-1.
I looked at repowering with a new Beta 14, but would like to keep my costs well below the $8k I was quoted.
Please give me your suggestions, I'm in North Carolina
thanks
Tim

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Here's one:

Universal 5411 Diesel Engine For Sale

Now for the warning. I bought a 5411 from this guy about 5 years ago for my previous boat. He charges a "core" charge for returning your old engine, and he played all kinds of games to avoid paying it back. I filed a complaint with the BBB which he just ignored it, though he eventually sent me the core charge. There was a problem with the raw water pump. He basically played games there also, and I just gave up. I would consider his "warranty" basically useless.

On a positive note, I know the owner of my previous boat and the engine is running fine.

Depending on what's wrong with your current engine, I would consider having it rebuilt yourself so you know what you've got.

·
19,484 Posts
Depending on what's wrong with your current engine, I would consider having it rebuilt yourself so you know what you've got.
+1 to that.. nothing but benefits long term if you've got a viable block, can do much if not all the work yourself. You'll 'know' everything about the engine afterwards and be better off when issues crop up down the road.

I'd expect that even if you farm it all out the bill would/should be less than a new repower, and without the usual 'unexpecteds' when trying to adapt something new/different into it's place. The electricals can be left as they were, no new panel replacement, shaft length, prop change.. etc.. the list goes on.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Timtim, if you can't find a recommendation to a marine shop, find someplace that has a diesel truck or construction equipment fleet. Ask who they use for engine rebuilds. In the worst case, if you have to rent a pickup truck to haul your engine someplace...I'd do that in an instant if it meant being able to use a shop that was highly recommended, who gave a good warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I bought a new Beta 14 for my Pearson 28. I bought the Pearson for a couple grand and spent over seven grand on the Beta 14. At best I guess I now have a $6k sailboat if I was to sell it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.