SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See my profile pic. That smaller bimini has been replaced by a new dodger. Now I want to move the bimini aft and install it like a "normal" bimini covering most of the cockpit.

The problem is that it is a pretty small bimini and if anchored to deck on either side of the coamings would offer very little headroom in the cockpit. So height is my challenge. I suppose I could go out and spend $400 hard earned bucks on a new custom made bimini but I like the challenge of repurposing things. Plus I am cheap. So I am looking for ideas on how to reuse the small bimini in a way that provides sufficient covering and height over the cockpit.

By my measurements,the attachment point would need to land about 5" forward of the primary winches and the connector would need to be about 8" above the deck surface to get the height and headroom right.

Thanks in advance for any and all creative ideas that might surface in this forum...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Add extensions. Get some tubing the same size as your frame, and a couple of feet one size smaller. Slide the smaller tube inside the larger to form a spline and lock them together with screws or pop rivets. This is how the cheaper mail order kits are made, to save on shipping. Not as pretty as one continuous piece, but works as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... Got a hat :) ... The extensions idea sounds possible. Will check to see where might find tubing. Any idea if Home Depot carries?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey There.

Take a look at my boat. Go to the Allmand pages. My bimini was custom made and goes to the dodger. It has it's pros and cons.

Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
Could you mount the bimini frame on the aft pulpit? That would raise it and move it back, but maybe more than you need.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plumbing section at Lowes got er done... The copper looks very nautical... Sorry can't post pos for some reason now...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zoom in to see lower leg extensions from copper tubing... Cost me $10 versus a new bimini at $300... Still have to figure out strapping but I think this will work if the sun ever comes out again...

Attachments

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
That copper tubing isn't going to handle any stress - as billy said, it's going to bend. If you (or a guest) lean on the bimini, or if you get bounced around a bit and fall into it, the tube is likely to bend. Now, given the cost difference between copper and stainless, maybe you don't care and you'll just replace it - that's fine.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
while I like it...and being familiar with copper tubing you must remember its highly maleable....thats why its so popular in refrigeration and heat scenarios too...

we used it building water solar panels and we had to be very careful

now since you have already done it and so you dont go to the expense of buying more stuff and scrapping this

may I suggest you take it apart and fill it with high density foam or even epoxy or resin with talc...plug it then simply reatach...it will be plenty strong then.

cheap simple fix

you also have the issue of dissimilar metals but just put some grease near the connection and your fine

cheers

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thoughts all... Thanks. Maybe because it is so short but that section actually feels stiffer than the rest of the aluminum frame. Bill filling sounds like a good idea...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts