SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i have a humming bird, i dont remember which model. i got it from bass pro, its color. i got it on sale and the demo model, wound up paying around 400.

check sailnet because mine only came with the cheap internal map, to upgrade the maps will be another 150, i think sailnets come with better maps, or at least ones i have seen linked here

·
Arf!
609 Posts
Would like to keep it under $300. This is for my Cal 22 So the ability to run on batteries and then a plug when necessary would be great.

Oh and a color screen would be nice too:cool:
You don't want much, do you?

I have been using a Garmin GPSMap 76 for several years. It has a B/W display, but it has been a faithful tool. I take it on all my charters as backup. There is no information on depths in the charts supplied. You can buy this unit for less than $200.

Garmin also has an Oregon 400 model with built-in coastal charts in color, that you may want to check out [no familiarity with this unit] -- $448, sailnet store.

But you may want to spend a few more $$ and get either a Garmin GPSmap 440 ($379 at Jamestown Distributors) or a Standard Horizon CP180i ($379: thegpsstore.com) + a card with charts for the entire US east coast for $190). Both have larger (color) displays than the handhelds mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Not Possible

Hello,

I can't think of ANY charplotter / sounder units that cost under $300 and run on batteries. You can get a chartplotter, OR a sounder for that price, but not both. About the closest I can think of would be something like this:

Lowrance M68C S/Map Single Frequency Sonar and GPS System

The price should be around $400. There is a version that runs off batteries, but it's more expensive and requires an external battery pack.

I had that unit on my Newport and I liked it a lot. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I wanted a bigger screen and NMEA in / out capability.

Of course, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Good luck,
Barry

Would like to keep it under $300. This is for my Cal 22 So the ability to run on batteries and then a plug when necessary would be great.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Hmmmm... I have a Garmin 440sx sitting here, new in the box, never powered up, lonely. I bought it for my Scampi 30 but later decided to get a 545 instead. If I keep the XM antenna, then that makes this a 440s, color chartplotter with sounder.

It won't run on battery (well, the boats house bank but not little batteries) but if you're interested let me know.

·
Arf!
609 Posts
and, also ...

Think about what you are expecting from this unit - do you want it with just coast outlines and buoys? If so a unit like the Garmin GPSmap 76 and its siblings 76Cs, 76Csx may be just what you are looking for.

BUT, if you want nice charts with depth contours and much more detail than the handhelds above, you had better look at the total cost of ownership over the period you expect to use it. For example, the Standard Horizon CP180 needs a Jeppesen chart to give any more than coastal outlines. And you have to figure on subscribing to their update service (reasonably priced at $89/yr), or risk navigating with seriously out of date charts at some point in the future.

Any time you are into the world of detailed chart information inside your GPS you have to figure in the cost of keeping it up to date. Over a period of a few years, the charts will set you back more than the original hardware price.

If you want to update the optional Garmin G2 charts, you are in for at least $200 per update, if I understand the Garmin product page.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong on this point:)

·
Arf!
609 Posts
clarification on Garmin's pricing for updates

If you want to update the optional Garmin G2 charts, you are in for at least $200 per update, if I understand the Garmin product page.
I just received a reply to my query to Garmin.

Their policy for upgrades to the preloaded charts is to charge $200 for a card containing the updated charts, then refund $125 when you return the media to them, for a net cost per update of $75 + shipping.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Think about what you are expecting from this unit - do you want it with just coast outlines and buoys? If so a unit like the Garmin GPSmap 76 and its siblings 76Cs, 76Csx may be just what you are looking for.

BUT, if you want nice charts with depth contours and much more detail than the handhelds above, you had better look at the total cost of ownership over the period you expect to use it. For example, the Standard Horizon CP180 needs a Jeppesen chart to give any more than coastal outlines. And you have to figure on subscribing to their update service (reasonably priced at $89/yr), or risk navigating with seriously out of date charts at some point in the future.

Any time you are into the world of detailed chart information inside your GPS you have to figure in the cost of keeping it up to date. Over a period of a few years, the charts will set you back more than the original hardware price.

Depending on where you are sailing, updates may be a non-issue. Here on Lake Michigan the shoreline has remained unchanged for ... oh say, 1000 years. Besides you should have a paper chart to refer to no matter what plotter or GPS you are using.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been using the garmin 76 cs for a couple of years
you buy the blue charts seperate
you get to unlock one region
then if you want another region it will cost another 120 to unlock it
you can use the enroute software along with the mapsource software , connect your handheld to your computer and then you can see the handheld gps position and blue charts on the computer screen.

I am going to install my computer in the cabin with a power inverter for AC power or use a laptop. It would be nice to have a 19 inch display.

The blue charts are pretty accurate and the depth contours nmatch up well with the depthsounder readings; i cant imagine why you would need to update the charts , how often are the bouys or bottom countors changing ?

Depending on what level of detail you need for charts , if you only need to mark a few bouys or shoals , you can always enter the coordinates of the point as a waypoint using the paper charts , then you have only the cost of the handheld gps unit ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.