SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
  • The winner of the February SailNet Captain of the Month is Howard @HPeer. A new competition starts April FOOLSDAY!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi folks. most of you may know i am refitting a 1971 cal 27. i recently found a guy parting out a ruined sailboat. he has a jib furler that he is willing to sell for a good price. unless i found another that cheaply, i won't be able to afford one for some time. they are pretty salty. the only trouble is, the boat has a jib stay that is 6' shorter (that's 6 feet not 6 inches) than mine. the brand isn't marked on the furler, at least that i know of. i have asked the guy to send me good pics and to see if he can find any markings, what-so-ever, on it. i will post those pics, here, and report of any markings when he gets back with me.

so, my question is, how hard will it be to find another extrusion to add? i'm sure that depends on the manufacturer, to a large extent. so, it raises other questions. if get pics to post, here, is it possible to figure out the manufacturer? also, is it possible to get extrusions made?

it's a great opportunity but, if it's too short to be usable, it would be throwing money away.

any input would be much appreciated. thanks.

· Living the dream
350 Posts
Reaction score
Extrusions, due to the nature of manufacture, would be impossible to get custom made one off. It may be possible to adapt another extrusion one way or the other, but unless the price makes that path worth it it is a waste of time. Best bet is to find the maker of the furler and contact the manufacturer for spares price and availability.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
If it's a common furler there may be many short sections of extrusion floating around a rigger's shop, if he's not a 'cleanout freak'.. but even so it's a bit of a long shot. I know that our rigger kept our extra section on hand when he was done.

That said, a furler that's 6 inches short might be fine for you, it just means the sails you bend on will need to be shorter too. Might not be that big a deal if the price is right.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score
I read the OP as "...6 feet shorter..."
If 6 inches, shorter sail could be the ticket.
If 6 feet,.......hmmmm.....convert mast-head rig to fractional? :)

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Oops.. right you are.. my bad. That's different, you will need to track down some extra sections (2 most likely...)

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If it's a common furler there may be many short sections of extrusion floating around a rigger's shop, if he's not a 'cleanout freak'.. but even so it's a bit of a long shot. I know that our rigger kept our extra section on hand when he was done.

That said, a furler that's 6 inches short might be fine for you, it just means the sails you bend on will need to be shorter too. Might not be that big a deal if the price is right.
not 6 inches. that would have looked like 6". it's 6 feet. i made the note in the original post to make sure my meaning is clear.

i have to avoid using the hatch mark notation. it creates a lot of misunderstandings on-line. there are a lot of threads talking about living aboard 30" or 40" boats that i have found amusing. if it was only 6" i really wouldn't sweat it.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If 6 inches, shorter sail could be the ticket.
If 6 feet,.......hmmmm.....convert mast-head rig to fractional? :)
wish it was easy to make that conversion. my holiday20 is fractional and dropping the jib was a quick, easy first reef. it sailed perfectly well on main, alone. a big main and smaller jib is more efficient than a jib driven rig. but, that would mean moving the mast forward.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops.. right you are.. my bad. That's different, you will need to track down some extra sections (2 most likely...)
yeah. that's what worries me. he is asking $250 for it. but, if i can't find the sections...

· Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Reaction score
Popular furler brands are:
- cdi
- alado
- pro-furl
- harken
- schaeffer
- furlex

to name a few. Quite a few of them are still in business. I can't promise you that they will still carry extrusions for that particular furler, but it is fairly likely.
$250 is a pretty good price as long as the bearings in the lower & upper unit are in good shape & you can get another extrusion(s) to make up your 6' difference.

I will note that furlers, in general, are not a maintenance free or "set it & forget it" proposition. They need to be installed correctly from the get go or you will have problems with them - the dreaded halyard wrap can ruin your day, the line can overrun and become stuck in the spool... Many also need periodic lubricating and/or cleaning.

I still like the convenience of the furlers I have owned. Nothing wrong with hank-on jibs either.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well, here is a question. if i can get and post pics, do you think someone here might be able to id the manufacturer?

it has aluminum extrusions not pvc flexible type. i do know that.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
well, here is a question. if i can get and post pics, do you think someone here might be able to id the manufacturer?
Very possibly someone could...

· Registered
337 Posts
Reaction score
$250 for an old furler? 20 years, or ..?
1) what is the price of a new, similar furler? My estimate: $1000
2) how many years will a furler last, in average? Let's say 20.

From a economical point of view, the firt year of use, a piece of equipment goes down ~50% in value, after that it can be approxed to 10% / year.
- so how much is left after ... 15 years (if that is the age of the furler on sale). Not much, ehhh?

And then to buy some 6 ft extension because the furler you are considering is not of the right size ... that is to toss good money after bad money.

You have also considered that your foresails must be changed? More money.

Make an estimate, what are the total costs for this possible change. All based on some old, used equipment where you have no knowledge on how it has been treated over the years.

This is not a healthy thing to do. Sorry.
The only reason you are looking at this is that you want a furler, and here you have one within reach.

Truth is ... on a 27 ft boat a furler is not necessary. Hanks is actually a better solution as the genoa/jib is easy to handle.

/J

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You have also considered that your foresails must be changed? More money.
i don't have a jib, yet. i mean, i have one that i can use but it's not one that is actually the one for this boat...if you see what i am saying. so, why not get a furler and get a jib that fits one?

truth is ... on a 27 ft boat a furler is not necessary. Hanks is actually a better solution as the genoa/jib is easy to handle.

/J
never had a boat this size and i'm pretty sure using a furler will be easier than tying the tiller and going to the foredeck to take down the jib and put up a smaller one (by myself), when the weather gets heavy.

let's face it, this isn't my holiday20. it was really easy to douse the jib and then go forward, to the top of the cuddy, to lash it to the deck and then sail under main alone. heck, the holiday would sail itself without even tying the tiller, or having anyone hold it on course, while you did that.( there is a funny story of how i found that out (totally by accident) the first time i took my father sailing.)

in fact, i kind of think it will be cheaper to get one jib with a luff designed for a furler than to buy a few head sails to change to, as the conditions change.

there has to be some reason you see so many boats, many of them a good bit smaller, with roller reefing.

Make an estimate, what are the total costs for this possible change. All based on some old, used equipment where you have no knowledge on how it has been treated over the years.
i am certain that you are envisioning me slapping this old, used piece of equipment on my $8,000 cruiser (with good paint and relatively new sails). trying to convert it on the cheap. let me put it in a bit better perspective.

$300 boat off of the lean dock. in structurally good shape. needs some tlc. ok. a good bit of tlc. ok. a total refit.

it came with no sails that fit it. i got a main that will fit, in ok shape, for free from another boat that was being scrapped. i have a jib that i can use. i got it for free. it was from some other boat. it is not really sized to fit this one but, it will work, in a pinch.

i am doing all the work, myself, over a lot more time than i'd like, in an ideal world. why? because i am poor and don't have reserves of disposable money to draw from. instead, i rob peter to pay paul and go without stuff most people take for granted so that i can get this boat in sailing and live aboard shape. why? if you have to ask, i could never explain it to you.

you talk like a grand is chump change. not for this little black duck.

so. older used furler for my boat , at a fairly cheap price(if i can get the extra extrusions)? yes please.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
[URL="http://

this is the only pic i have at this time. it was on his ad. doubt it helps anyone out too much.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a Harken. Check with Rick Wilfred at (262) 691-7508 who can help identify it and advise you further.
awesome. thank you sir. that's a great lead. i will contact him tomorrow. it would be good if it is because i could surley get the pieces to make it long enough.

· Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
828 Posts
Reaction score
I went through this last year with a Schaeffer, which is a fairly common furler. Extrusions should be easy to find, right?
Let me sum up by saying just buy a new or used furler that fits your rig. I've wasted hours of time, gallons of gas and precious sailing days to reach this conclusion for you.
You're welcome.
PS- got a Harken MKIV and could not be happier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.