SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boat we bought only came with a storm jib other than the main that is. So looking to buy another head sail. What would suggest we go with? Boat is a 82 Catalina 22. Really only sailing in protected waters for now and if out of the inlet it would only be in light summer winds here in Florida. What would serve us best?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Catalina 22 is about the cheapest keel boat to get sails for since it is so common. Many lofts like North Sails Direct and Rolly Tasker make batches of sails for these boats and sell them at nearly giveaway prices.

A 110% jib (also called a #3 or working jib) is a good size that will perform well in a variety of conditions. A larger genoa (130-150%) would give a performance increase in lighter air, but if you are new to sailing I would just start with the 110.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I sailed my Catalina 22 almost every weekend on lake Travis and lake Buchanin in Texas. When I got stationed close to Panama City I sailed her in the bays and along the coast. The boat came with a 110 jib and a 155 genoa. I can probably count the number of times I used the 110 jib on my fingers. the boat sails great with the 155 genoa and a reefed mainsail when the wind is above 20 knots which is not all that often. 5-7 knots of wind and I would have given up with anything less than the 155 genoa. You will miss a lot fewer days of sailing with a 155 genoa due to strong winds than you will pass up due to light winds with a sail smaller than the 155 genoa. The boat is safe, I was a bit of a thrill seeker in my younger days and would take her out in some pretty stiff winds (with the 110 jib and reefed main) it handled the weather flawlessly although the weather helm was a bit of a workout in the gusts on those heavy air days. If you only want one head sail you could have reef points put in the 155 genoa just in case you got stuck in winds you wished you weren't in. But that is not necessary because in winds above 10 knots the boat will also sail with only the main flying.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get the 155 genoa. You can use it furled about 4 turns, and as your skills improve let it out. You will have more fun and your skills will quickly get better. If you go with the 110 it may be several seasons before you think about getting a 155, as you will be having fun with the smaller sail.

Reactions: Shortnsalty
1 - 7 of 7 Posts