SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After I got the mast back up last month, rigged, water-tuned etc., the same rigger called me up and said I needed a pendant to get the headsail up to the top. I measured it like he said and need a 15" pendant. That rigger has dropped off the planet (maybe out of town) and I don't have a clue where to get this made. I'm not going to go out and buy tools just to try and make this. Any suggestions?

Dave

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
This is very easy to make by splicing dyneema with two brummel splices, one at each end.

In the meantime you can simply take a short piece of strong low stretch line and tie a bowline in each end. You probably have enough tail on your jib halyard to cut off and make this.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Make your own. Go to a chandlery and buy a roll of 3mm dacron yacht braid or (better) "FSE Robline' - a combo of dacron and dyneema. With the tack of the sail disconnected, Raise the sail as far as it will go and drop it back down 2". Put several/many 'turns' of the 3mm between and through the tack cringle of the sail and its connection point at the stem/furler/etc.. Finish off by tying in several/many 'half hitches', etc. around the turns already made, apply rigging tape over the cut off end to prevent the half-hitches from coming 'undone'.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Dave E, I’ve made 2 for a J120 in the Annapolis to Bermuda race. I could make you one to your 15” finished dimension and ship it. What’s the largest headsail square footage that you run?
I use dyneema chafe guard over multiple loops with an end for end splice so it reaches maximum strength with minimal weight. The problem with doing a short eye splice in dyneema is that the splice will pull out well under the breaking strength of the line. Yes, lock stitching and bremmeling will help but it'll never be as strong as a properly constructed loop.

Rich’s lashing is the next best thing, although not as elegant. Shoot me a PM if you’d like a price.
( I just emailed the owner of the 120 for some pics, hopefully they’re racing weds night beer cans tonight, I'll post a pic of the setup).

·
Registered
830 Posts
A spare pc.of old, 7/16 halyard and a few bowlines is all it takes. Once set, make the other, more permanent at your leisure.
Also, considering a small, 4 part block s. as a down haul, as there'sonly one winch at the mast, and. it'. needed for th. main

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
If you have an old shroud or wire halyard laying around, or would just like to make it out stainless steel cable, buy a couple of thimbles and some Nicropress sleeves at your local West Marine store and borrow their swaging bench to make your own. Cost me $4. You read more about it here:

Foresail pendant solution

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to West Marine. They have a work bench right there at the rigging area of the store. He said "I can't do it for you, but I can show you have to use cut and crimp tools". So I made my own. Worked great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts