SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are sailing down the Intracoastal Waterway (and motoring too!) and I had set up a blog for family, etc. to follow us. but turns out the domain (apple's mobile.me) is really cumbersome.

i need to start a blog with a new provider. I see blogs on sailnet, but most of them seem to be used for technical questions, like a forum is. can someone point me in the right direction? I like adding pictures and text about the trip of course.

two specific questions if I use the sailnet,
1. will my readers have to access my sailnet blog by logging in with my USERN and PSWRD?
2. can I protect the blog with it's own unique password rather than making it public?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Try: http://www.blogger.com/home
Very easy to use, and your friends can provide comments, etc on your photos and words posts.

And post a link here, so we can follow your trip! Enjoy!

·
Registered
725 Posts
yahoo groups is free. You can make your own members and no one but the the ones you approve can have access

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Or get yourself a website and domain name and setup wordpress on it, as I have done. :)

Or you could use wordpress.com to create a wordpress-based blog.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I second the blogger.com or blogspot idea.
Much easier than setting up a wordpress site.

And, you can use it afterwards, etc. for other stuff.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Having your own domain with mail server and setting up wordpress is pretty simple nowadays, since many webhosts now provide WordPress as a single-click install. That gives you far more flexibility, freedom, and less censorship than using blogger or blogspot. Once you have your domain name registered, the actual setup of e-mail accounts and wordpress takes anyone with a modicum of common sense about 10 minutes.

I second the blogger.com or blogspot idea.
Much easier than setting up a wordpress site.

And, you can use it afterwards, etc. for other stuff.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Actually, you can't use blogger.com to publish a site, only blogs IIRC. I have both a website, and a blog, which is a sub-domain of my website.
You can use blogger to publish to your own hosted site and domain name. The setup is simple too.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
That's correct. You can create your blog content on blogger.com and publish it to the root of a website, a sub domain or a directory on your website. I publish to the root, so in a way my entire site is created by blogger.

Barking Dog

Actually, you can't use blogger.com to publish a site, only blogs IIRC. I have both a website, and a blog, which is a sub-domain of my website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts