SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about buying another project boat but this one has been sitting in the water untouched for at least 4 years with no diver, zinks and who knows how old the bottom paint is or if there is any bottom paint left on it.

Does anyone know what kind of damage can be done by leaving a boat like this for so long?

Thanks

·
I don't discuss my member
2,668 Posts
No serious damage to the hull is likely. However, in a bad case, achieving a really fair bottom for new paint (which the boat certainly needs) is going to require a lot of effort. Barnacle attachment spots and the hold-fasts from other shelled animals are PITA to remove. Blisters are another story and hopefully not a major issue on this boat.

Regarding the unattended running gear and thru-hulls; well, that can be a problem if the boat was unprotected by zinc anodes for a long time. A shaft and prop, strut and any bad thru-hulls (if they're bronze) will run you a few bucks to replace. Let's hope that no damage to those parts exists.

·
2,668 Posts
Another thought, some yards here in the Bay Area will recommend that you have a very foul bottom cleaned (or scraped, in the worst cases) in the water prior to hauling for paint. The reason being that with extremely foul bottoms the yard will have to charge you to barrel-up the debris from the haulout pressure wash and have it shipped as hazardous waste. Very expensive and the boat owner foots the bill.

So, if you buy this boat, it might pay to check with your yard before hauling.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blisters

There was a survey done in 2005 and the boat did have blisters on the hull, do you think leaving it like it was could make the blisters worse?

Thanks

No serious damage to the hull is likely. However, in a bad case, achieving a really fair bottom for new paint (which the boat certainly needs) is going to require a lot of effort. Barnacle attachment spots and the hold-fasts from other shelled animals are PITA to remove. Blisters are another story and hopefully not a major issue on this boat.

Regarding the unattended running gear and thru-hulls; well, that can be a problem if the boat was unprotected by zinc anodes for a long time. A shaft and prop, strut and any bad thru-hulls (if they're bronze) will run you a few bucks to replace. Let's hope that no damage to those parts exists.

·
2,668 Posts
There was a survey done in 2005 and the boat did have blisters on the hull, do you think leaving it like it was could make the blisters worse?
Yes. Although if the blisters were going to worsen, they would have done so whether or not the boat had been cleaned or painted during the 4-year period.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The primary worries, aside from cleaning the bottom off, is that the through-hulls and other under water metal is severely damaged by not being protected by anodes properly, as FSTBTMS pointed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts