SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Barquito
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help - I am planning to learn how to sail tonight so I can buy a boat I saw for sale in the paper this morning. I have a few books that looks like they cover about everything one could know about sailing. I figured I would get the boat to my house in the morning (a Hunter 25) and fix it up. Then by afternoon I should be able to set sail. In order to get across the gulf stream faster I am planning on installing a small block chevy. Do you think that will make the boat more or less tippy? I am also trying to decide if I should pack some lifejackets because that space may be needed for my Blatz beer stash. (because what the **** is the purpose of buying a lame *** sailboat if you don't have beer to put in the hold!) Again please respond quickly, I plan on casting off tomorrow April 1!

Thanks again,

Shark Bait

·
Admirals fav target
229 Posts
The best advice anyone here can give you is to buy a lot of life insurance and name me as your beneficiary. Please try to keep the policy in increments of millions of dollars. I might also suggest a hemi instead of a small block chevy!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Please help - I am planning to learn how to sail tonight so I can buy a boat I saw for sale in the paper this morning. I have a few books that looks like they cover about everything one could know about sailing. I figured I would get the boat to my house in the morning (a Hunter 25) and fix it up. Then by afternoon I should be able to set sail. In order to get across the gulf stream faster I am planning on installing a small block chevy. Do you think that will make the boat more or less tippy? I am also trying to decide if I should pack some lifejackets because that space may be needed for my Blatz beer stash. (because what the **** is the purpose of buying a lame *** sailboat if you don't have beer to put in the hold!) Again please respond quickly, I plan on casting off tomorrow April 1!

Thanks again,

Shark Bait
Shark Bait,

At first, I thought this was going to be a really hard post. THen, by the time I got to the bottom, I realized you have already mastered what you need to make the 'trip'. You are there already. Nothing further to read or learn. Just hop on and do it.

By the way, instead of the chevy block (much too much gasonline... and the cost of gasoline these days???), I suggest a different counter balance. You should be able to find one very like this at any major town or you can sneak in at night and thief it for yourself:

Please take the enclosed item and drop it in the cockpit where it is easily viewable for PADI (don't worry about what that means).

Have a great trip. I will see you as soon as I can get my tanks filled.

- CD

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
That's a well thought plan. Except for the part about learning to sail. Why bother? It will only delay your departure.

Look, pieces of flotsam drift across entire oceans, without sails, steerage, or human intervention. Surely a human with a sound vessels and even modest faculties can replicate the feat.

Go now, go TODAY!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I wish you nothing but sucess on your upcoming trip.
Don't forget to write and keep us updated.

There are plenty of good books out there that will teach you everything you will need to learn, including common sense. (can you learn common sense from a book?)

Fair winds and following seas and all that billshut.

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
this has to be an early april fools joke !!! i can't see anyone even considering a setup like that. a mono hull that size only needs 10 HP or so. the granite ballast would make good sense for this trip.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I have a few books that looks like they cover about everything one could know about sailing.
does it cover sea monkey encounters

Do you think that will make the boat more or less tippy?
Tippy is kinda relative, compared to another boats ?? yes, you be more, compared to the new captain ???, obviously less.............way less....dangerously less, as a matter of fact, the captain should go take a nap now, and maybe a few advils

I am also trying to decide if I should pack some lifejackets because that space may be needed for my Blatz beer stash.
Forget the Lifejackets and the beer, you'll need Bacon Flavored Begg'n Strips for the sea monkeys..........and don't try to cheap out on them either you tight wad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts