SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow, I have four Wagyu Kobe A5 steaks coming from Snake River Farms in Idaho. They will be frozen and shipped in a styrofoam container with dry ice.

Most of the information on cooking shows them cooked in a cast iron skillet, topped with butter and salt and pepper.

I was thinking they would be better cooked on my gas grill with some Yoshida Gourmet Sauce and sprinkled with Montreal Steak Seasoning, cooked to medium.

I didn't know how much experience you guys had with this, but would sure like some input because I have absolutely none and don't want to mess up two of the highest rated cuts of meat in the world.

Thanks in advance,

Gary :2 boat:

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,238 Posts
You spent the dollars on a nice piece of meat... Don't mess with it... Start with a hot cast iron, sear, add butter and turn off heat, add garlic clove and fresh herbs and baste with the butter using a spoon. Let rest a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm with T-37, on the cast iron. It's such a high fat content an open flame could char them on you. I'd pass on all the extra seasoning. the fat is where the flavor is. I might pass on the garlic, but fresh herbs sound good. You'll get salt from the butter, so just add some fresh ground pepper, if you like.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You spent the dollars on a nice piece of meat... Don't mess with it... Start with a hot cast iron, sear, add butter and turn off heat, add garlic clove and fresh herbs and baste with the butter using a spoon. Let rest a few minutes.
I am sure that is the right approach for a real chef.

Me, as an amateur, I would go safe and sous-vide the steaks. Of course followed by a super-intense searing.

·
Cruiser
253 Posts
A5 is the most highly marbeled, so searing in a very hot cast iron pan is warranted. [I would use the Sear setting on my induction burner... outside to avoid the smoke in the boat...]

Flip when the juices first appear on the raw top. Add butter and preferred herbs to the pan and baste meat. Remove from heat, and eat. Don't cook past medium rare or that quality of meat is ruined.

Folloqing is a great resource worth reading... [Recommended cooking method for your steaks down toward the end of that article...]

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/buying-beef-beef-grades-and-labels-and-busting-kobe-beef-myth

Bon appetit!

Bill

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Finely grind Wagyu Kobe fry till black. Put in hamburger bun with a lot of ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and that old fermenting onion in the back of the cupboard.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Enjoy!

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
How many of you eating?

If less than 4, then you could do a starter of Steak Tartare with one of the steaks - Raw thinly sliced then diced - not ground. Add chopped parsley and a little finely diced shallots (or the US equivalent). No cooking. serve like that.
As its raw and eaten raw it will freak out most Americans. But its perfectly safe to eat when you have top beef. And its out of this world :)

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-make-restaurant-quality-beef-tartare-at-home-article

Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
+1 on the steak tartar. But if you must cook it...

... please don’t go past medium rare as you will have simply created expensive cardboard - best way to tell is poke it with your finger and compare to poking the fleshy bit at the base of your thumb. That is half way between rare and medium rare and if you then rest it off the heat for 2 minutes it will continue cooking and relaxing and be more delicious.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
I would never bury the taste of a premium cut of steak in a ton of seasoning. There really is no point to the quality, if it's been heavily seasoned over. It's sort of like putting a premium sipping vodka in a bloody mary.

Everyone should enjoy food the way they like it, so I have no objection to seasoning, if one prefers it. They will just neutralize the value of the kobe, IMO.

I love the tartar idea. I'd pan fry some thinly sliced baguettes in good olive oil. I'd also put a raw egg yolk on top of the tartar, which virtually becomes a sauce, when broken. The yolk is optional, but some course sea salt isn't. :)

Coincidentally, my wife bought me a Joule sous vide for Christmas. Just this past weekend, I went out and bought a full tenderloin and trimmed it down myself (I hate seeing people cook tenderloins with the silver skin and all the exterior fat still in tact, but to each their own). I finished with two pounds of tips, four very thick fillets and, my fav, a nice trimmed chateau briand, from the center cut.

My maiden voyage on the sous vide was with two of the fillets. Set the device to medium rare and 2 hours later had the most perfectly cooked steak I've ever had. Seared the outside in seconds, in a pan with oil and butter. The best. Period.

Good to see you posting, Gary. I hope you are able to keep your medical condition in check.

·
12,145 Posts
PM sent to you

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the steaks came with cooking instructions, very close to what you posted. The only difference is that instead of butter, I used bacon grease, something that I picked up when I lived in Washington State and used bacon grease to sear elk, moose, caribou, venison and mountain goat, all of which tasted fantastic. Just a bit of salt and pepper for seasoning, seared all sides as recommended in the instruction manual, then placed in the oven at 350-degrees for about 15 minutes until the internal temperature hit 135 degrees, which was recommended for medium. OMG - the absolute best steak I have ever tasted in my 80 years on the planet Earth. Expensive - yes, but well worth it. I have two more to cook and I think I will purchase 4 steaks for each of my children. I can highly recommend Snake River Farms and their quality meats.

I served the steak with Hasselback Potatoes, topped with sour cream and chives.

Thanks for the advice, everyone,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Amazingribs article Bill. Really useful.

My son lives in Hyogo prefecture, where Kobe beef comes from. I think I need to go see him again.
Some restaurants there have a small grill built into the table. You put your slices of beef on it for about a minute.
Tastes amazing even with nothing added.

Jonathan
Barrington, RI
S2 9.2A

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Tomorrow, I have four Wagyu Kobe A5 steaks coming from Snake River Farms in Idaho. They will be frozen and shipped in a styrofoam container with dry ice.

Most of the information on cooking shows them cooked in a cast iron skillet, topped with butter and salt and pepper.

I was thinking they would be better cooked on my gas grill with some Yoshida Gourmet Sauce and sprinkled with Montreal Steak Seasoning, cooked to medium.

I didn't know how much experience you guys had with this, but would sure like some input because I have absolutely none and don't want to mess up two of the highest rated cuts of meat in the world.

Thanks in advance,

Gary :2 boat:
We cook them on a 2 burner gas grill. Light the burner on one side and put the steaks on the other side. Indirect heat for 20 minutes is about what we do. Last time we bought them was $50 per steak 3" thick. The first time I was told this method by the butcher I didn't believe it ...... He was right :)

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
Hi Gary. Really good to hear from you. That beef sounds incredible! Keep on keeping on.
The potato recipe impressed the wife and I so much we're going to try it next time we can get to a market. The beef we may try if we ever get back to the states, but after my last commercial flight back to Trinidad, even in more expensive seats and a fairly short flight (6+ hours), that was pretty much it for me and flying, unless we can hitch a flight on a private plane.
At what point did we all agree to pay some airline a bunch of our hard earned money to torture us for X number of hours? Bah humbug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts