SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first. please dont bother with the whole buccaneers are garbage,. i dont care. i like it

ok now for the fun stuff. i got a buccaneer 240 yesterday. with trailer. solid but striped inside. it was free. i want to redo the interior but need pics and layout ideas as i cant find any.

things i know i want. rv styly stove/oven. sink. toilet. witch it still has sink and toilet in it. also just any info on restoring one in general

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the is nothing inside! nothing! lol. just a pile of parts. but hull and deck is solid. other then a couple dimples from years on a trailer not ment for it. i want the berth up front. walled in with a door. a rv style fold out couch along the starboard side would be nice. as i have one, lol. accross from that the stove and sink. between that and the birth i was thinking the toilet. as i said the boat is just bare fiberglass inside. so i want to recover it but i want it bright inside. here is a pic of what mine looks like. other then mine is a beautiful blue.

Attachments

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
Well if it's truly bare glass everywhere, then you've got a clean slate to start with.. generate some drawings and start playing around with various layouts.

One thing.. when working with a plan view don't forget that nothing's vertical or square. Things that look like they may fit/work from that perspective will be quite different when you're actually working with the 3D shape of the boat, esp up forward where the hull flare is maximum and things narrow up quickly. A full set of lines would be ideal but may be very hard to come by.

I'd also mock things up with cardboard or, better yet, doorskin prior to building the final version.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i intended to use hd plastic type cardboard like for signs for all the mock up. does anyone know were i can get a door for the front birth? then i can build a frame around it. also i was thinking i should build the walls in as a structural support? i could fiberglass brackets onto the inside to tie it all together for added strength as i do intend for it to be a coastal hopper. also what about wwater makers? is the a way to make one that is solar powered? i cant go spending 5k plus on a free boat. not for one part. lol

·
19,484 Posts
Chase down some Utube videos on fiberglass 'tabbing' for bulkheads.. I think it's time for some serious research before you start this project. If you're able to reconstruct the interior a door should not be a challenge to build yourself.. leaving aside for the moment whether or not you really 'need' a door of any kind. Privacy is an illusion on any boat smaller than 60 feet or so.

Watermakers are expensive, power hungry generally though there are manual models intended for survivors in liferafts - they won't produce much water and require much effort. I reckon you'd be the first non-offshore 24 footer that installed one. Thinking about a watermaker at this stage is a pretty big red flag....

Good luck with this, and understand that I mean this kindly, but I think you don't know yet what you don't know about this sort of thing...

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Good advice from Faster. Glue gun door skins in 3 inch strips to test stuff before deciding what's what. Even experts can screw up. Bill Garden once gave a shipyard interior plans based on deck plan. Several rebuilds before we all twigged on what's what. ( Hindinlopen ,,big Dutch botter refit) Edit.. In the time it took me to type that much happened.. All I can add now is 'Oops'

·
19,484 Posts
i have done several boats before. from small jobs to full redoes inside. its my job. lol. a water maker isnt a must just a nice luxury.
Alright then....

This:

i was thinking i should build the walls in as a structural support? i could fiberglass brackets onto the inside to tie it all together for added strength
and this:

or to make life easier is there an adhesive that can be used? instead of fiber glassing in brackets?
...made me think otherwise.. Carry on...

·
19,484 Posts
Suggest you try buffing the original finish before you put any kind of paint on it. There are lots of fiberglass/gelcoat restoring compounds/methods that get good results.

Non marine paints like those listed will not resist dock and fender rub for long.

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
correct but those are marine paints. also the blue on upper side is good. but they reay messed up the rest thats why i need to redo it. and asap so i can get it off its lousy home made trailer before it gets real damage

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.