SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hans Christian 38 T
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for 1 or possibly 2 experienced crew to help me sail my Hans Christian 38 from Anacortes, Washington either to Hawaii or back from Hawaii. I am particularly interested in someone who has done either of these legs before and can provide references. The departure date is not later than July 1st. We split all costs except airfare. Please send an e-mail to: [email protected].

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Are you at least going to pay the airfare for the crew to and from Anacortes/Hawaii???

IF not, why would you expect anyone to crew for you??? You're not paying them and you're not even feeding them—and you expect them to pay for to fly out, work like dogs—since delivery trips are not the same as cruising—and help pay your expenses??? Yeah, good luck with that.

It would also help if you provided references... this is your first post here... and you've basically got no credibility here.:rolleyes:

I am looking for 1 or possibly 2 experienced crew to help me sail my Hans Christian 38 from Anacortes, Washington either to Hawaii or back from Hawaii. I am particularly interested in someone who has done either of these legs before and can provide references. The departure date is not later than July 1st. We split all costs except airfare. Please send an e-mail to: [email protected].

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
well, one-way tickets tend to be more expensive than round-trip tickets overall. Having to fly to either Hawaii or Anacortes, and then fly back from the other is two fairly expensive one-way tickets. Given the current economy... if the OP isn't paying for the plane tickets... and expecting the crew to share expenses.... it's a pretty lousy deal for the crew IMHO.

Also, as I said, it is this guy's first post... and references would be a good thing. He has no "history" on this site, and there's no way to judge what kind of person he is—in terms of sailing skills, temperament, personality, etc. If he turns out to be a Sully-type, there's no place to get off between the two... At least he isn't looking for a hot babe to crew for him. :)

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
I know Byron. I've known him personally for over 30 years and am proud to call him a friend. He is in his early 60s and recently retired as I am. He has been on and lead many high adventure trips over the years including climbing Mount McKinley. In his early career he worked on an Alaskan fishing boat but that was a long time ago. He owns a sea kayak and has explored most of the west coast of Vancouver Island in it. He got interested in sailing as a direct result of crewing with me and I am one going to be one of the crew on the Hawaii trip this summer. We buddy boated around Vancouver Island this past summer. He and another fellow in his boat and me and my wife in our boat.

What WE are looking is one or two guys with a bit of experience and most of all with an even temperment. This is the most critical requirement since as he says the only thing that has caused severe problems in his experience with adventure trips before is when people don't get along.

The suggestion that the crew would be one way, either to of from Hawaii was his idea to allow them off without sustaining the entire trip. Cause as another noted, it will be a slow trip. The round trip time is estimated to be 10 weeks.

Finally, to flame him just for asking is entirely uncalled for. If you aren't interested just keep your fingers off of the keyboard.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
A couple of other things come to mind.

Byron has experience crewing on the Turicum from Hawaii to Vancouver two years ago. If you go to the VicMaui race web site you can see that the Turicum is a regular participant. So he isn't intirely without blue water experience. Perhaps if you email you he will regail you with some of the stories he "gathered" as a result of that trip.

Finally, this isn't a "delivery". It's a "cruise". We will not be pushing the boat and ourselves to get the last tenth of a knot out of her and we will be spending two weeks in Hawaii when we get there. The trip is intended to be fun overall and to give he and I more experiece.

The True Grace, his boat, is well found with blue water experience with it's previous owner. It is properly outfitted with the exception of a life raft but we will be correcting that deficiency.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Dwayne—

My intent was not to flame him... but to clarify his post with some hard questions.

He says that they will split all costs but airfare, but he does not mention WHO is paying the airfare. Airline tickets are expensive, and two one-way tickets more so than a round trip. I can understand splitting costs if he were providing transportation to and from the start and end of the trip. However, to expect crew to come for almost a month's voyage, and have to share expenses and pay for their transportation is a bit unreasonable—especially given the current economic climate.

Also, it did not state in the OP that this would be a cruise, rather than a delivery, which does change things a bit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dog it isn't meant to be that they are inviting you because they absolutely need someone they are inviting you on a vacation to get away from it all does the hotel pay for you to get to them...no, I interpreted this as an open invitation for anyone looking for a laid back vacation in beautiful waters.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Well, I actually had some interest in contacting your buddy about the trip, but that's when we take our annual trip up north on our boat. Hope you guys find crew. Best wishes.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think a few details would have been better up front, like the great boat, skipper, friends ref's etc. The Dog bites, so be nice! If you are new he's bound to sniff your butt, till he gets used to it, don't take it personally. Anyways, Isn't there a crew wanted / needed reference resource online somewhere?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If it is an invitation to join them for a cruise, then that's great.... but it probably should have been made clear in the OP that this was looking for people to join them on a cruise, rather than crew for doing a delivery. The way it is worded, it certainly sounded more like they were looking for delivery crew. That's why I was asking for clarification. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts