SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Travelineasy - yes, we do have a solar panel, well, we had the boat wired for it, but then decided not to bring the panel itself because we decided to not build a frame for it as we plan on putting a dingy davit on the back and then the solar panel on top of it. I guess we need to get that done. LOL

MarkSF - There are quite a few spares on our panel...I'll check into that also.

I went to the Ships Store and all of the components are there for us to do the work. I think I am going to call the Boat Yard though and see if they want to quote the job. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone!!

Yes! I was just reading the wiring section last night, it covers everything that people here are saying, with helpful pictures.

You can get just the electrical part:
Sailboat Electrics Simplified: Don Casey: 0639785800361: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516KsML1v1L.@@AMEPARAM@@516KsML1v1L

But I would go ahead and get the full book linked to above, Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual. It includes the full electrical book, plus five others.

1) For 0.06A and 24 feet you only need 16ga wire (you actually don't even need that heavy a wire, but 16ga is considered the minimum for boats). Tinned wire is best, but non-tinned is fine for an application like this.

2) Fuse the wire near the battery. I would just use a little in-line fuse holder at or near the battery, and bypass your main panel,so you don't have to energize the rest of your electrical system just for this fan.

3) Forget about installing a little solar system just for this. To keep it running 24/7 you would need a panel, a battery, and a small controller. Not worth it, IMHO.

The correct cable to use would be 2 core, red and yellow, 14 gauge boat cable. Two cables with a white sheath for extra protection. Yellow is the official colour for negative DC, now. (not black)
I disagree. If a total re-wire is being done or if it is a boat in build then yes red/yellow makes sense. On an existing boat that has black/red wire throughout it doesn't make sense to add a third color. It will only confuse.

Besides, go to chandleries and try to find 2 wire sheathed cable with a yellow wire for the ground. It's just not available yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides, go to chandleries and try to find 2 wire sheathed cable with a yellow wire for the ground. It's just not available yet.

Actually it is available - I work at Trotac Marine in Victoria and I stock red/yellow tinned boat cable - same price as the red/black. It will become more common as demand increases.

I don't know where you've looked, but I've seen it in various marine stores/chandleries for years.

That comes as a bit of a surprise, given that I've been using it for the last 3 years, and have a 40ft length of it on the boat, ready for future upgrades, all bought from Svendsens, my local chandlery. It's worth keeping some handy.

PS, I like to keep a box with a reasonable supply of crimps, wire, cable, terminal blocks, enough for basic installs and repairs. You can save money by buying the stuff here :

genuinedealz.com

They also make nice custom cables, with terminations, for pretty much the cost of the raw materials.

I have a question. I have 4 Day Brite 277v 250w metal halide lights. I want to wire them to my 120v lighting that I have ran. My question is if I used a Phillips 277v step down transformer would that allow me to put on my 120v system?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.