SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
New to Sail Net and never posted before. Hope I do it right.
I have a Volvo Penta MD6A and have a crack in the exhaust manifold (they call it an exhaust pipe in the engine manual.
Every where I look on line I can't find one. Any thoughts. Also been thinking about repowering (8,000 lbs displacement), but unsure the direction to go in to save $$$$. Can't find anything on line, any thoughts?
Thanks
David - sailingforjoy

·
Registered
659 Posts
SailingforJoy,

Forgot to add this to the previous response...

I've heard that the exhuast mainfolds for these motors are very expensive. I believe they are made from cast-iron so depending on where it's cracked, you may be able to have a good welder fix it for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks misfits
I checked out both sites. Nither had the part. but was able to download a operators manual!

My thoughts the same on the welding - I do have a man that should be able to do it.
Thanks again
sailingforjoy
dr

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Are you sure it is not the exhaust elbow? (it looks more like a pipe.) It is the piece at the back of the engine that the exhaust hose connects to. It is a common part to rust out and is readily available for around $150. I just replaced mine and the local dealer had it in stock.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would suggest giving Torrensens marine a call. They deal in a lot of parts for older Volvo engines and they have a lot of parts not listed on the website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - SchockT and Klem, for responding back.
SchockT; it is the water cooled exhaust manifold, I used the term exhaust pipe as that is a name that Volvo Penta uses in their manual also. My elbow is in great shape.

Klem; thanks for the lead I'll contact Torrensens.

Happy sailing
sailingforjoy -dr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's back to the drawing board! I know a couple of good welders and fabracators here in my area, and I showed them some photos of the crack in the manifold and based on what they saw felt that they could weild it. But after getting it off the crack was much more extensive than first thought. It is cracked on the bottom also, half the length of the manifold. So welding is not an opption any longer. So here's looking for a manifold.
sailingforjoy

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well it's back to the drawing board! I know a couple of good welders and fabracators here in my area, and I showed them some photos of the crack in the manifold and based on what they saw felt that they could weild it. But after getting it off the crack was much more extensive than first thought. It is cracked on the bottom also, half the length of the manifold. So welding is not an opption any longer. So here's looking for a manifold.
sailingforjoy
Joy,
Please email me a couple of photos, I may be able to help you get it repaired.

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts