SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some difficult plumbing placement, I need to glue or cement a PVC elbow to the hose barb of a Jabsco Y-valve. Jabsco says no way, the hose barb will crack if I use any type of glue or cement. He said it's glass filled propalene and nothing can be glued or cemented to it.
I can't give up that easily, there are no other remotely feasable ways to route the plumbing without creating a big mess of hoses, etc.
I expect they know their materials and I'm probably SOL but I'm not giving up without a fight...help!

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
xort----- i suppose you don't have enough room to put a short piece of hose on the barb & a barb on the pvc elbow?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
If you can't make the mod, you might try one of the Y-valves with the rotating ports. I used one of these and it made things a lot easier:

Y-Valve

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jrp/maine
That is the Y-valve I have. Jabsco was kind enough to send me a third hose barb elbow but that isn't enough. I need to attach a 90d PVC street elbow to the end of the hose barb.
Somebody else makes a 90d elbow with 2 hose barbs. I can use a 3" piece of hose to attach the Y-valve hose barb to the PVC hose barb...but I don't have the room for that either. I'm in a VERY tight spot behind a cabinet.

The Trident 101 will not bend enough in this tight space.

Saildoggie, what about 3M 5200 adhesive caulk?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Xort,

Have you already mounted the y-valve to a bulkhead? If so, you might try dismounting it and getting all the hoses attached before remounting it, or even skip the mounting and let the y-valve "float". This might get you a bit more...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to an auto parts store. I buy them all the time.
Hmmm
I wonder how a 1.5" 90d radiator hose would work as an elbow? Fit one end into the Y-valve hose barb and the other into a connector piece to then attach to the Trident 101.
All my original head hoses are fuel hose and they are relatively stinkless considering they are 27 years old!

Can I coat the short piece of radiator hose? I know it's recomended to wrap smelly hose with plastic wrap...

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
You might try a plumbing supply or outdoor sprinkler supply place, i am NOT talking about Home Depot or Lowes equals, but a true pipe/plumbing/kitchen-bath supply place. I could give you about a dozen names and places in the Seattle area, not sure about Michigan. Also RV supply places may have a few more parts options than boat places. Yes, 1.5" 90's are available, not sure about barb ends, but glue style/threaded male and female with both the same or one of each.

A place for hottubs may also have some parts too, now that I am typing this too.

Also, many PVC glues come in metal cans, not always a glass one! A glass one would break so quick on a job site, what a joke that would be!

Good luck with the issue.

marty

ps
I have about $3000 worth of pvc sprinkler parts at my yard if that helps?.........probably not you say.......thought so

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Xort, can these two fitting ( the PVC & Barb ) joined together first then installed on the Y valve, if so I may have a answer for ya

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
5200?
Plumbing runs on small boats always make me want a bigger boat for some reason.

I second the radiator hose option. If it is a short run and nothing can settle there it won't stink, but replace ever 3-5 years.

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Xort

You can get rubber (non-stinky) hose connectors in various sizes in any good hardware store. They come complete with stainless steel hose clips and are available as straight comnnectors or ninety degree bends. They are used for connecting PVC drain pipes. Not sure if these would be any good (depends on the size of barb you are dealing with), but I have used them to good effect.....

Stuart

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pappy
That's the initial problem...I can't glue to the Jabsco hose barb. If I could do that I'd be all set.

Marty
You missed the point. I found all that and more at a plumbing supply. I don't have room to do it "right". I need to stick the Y-valve hose barb INSIDE the 90d street el. That is shorter by at least 3". The only way to fasten this together is glue and glue does not work on the type of plastic used on this Y-valve. The Y-valve hose barb is a custom design so it cannot be changed.

Stuart
Not sure what you are describing but I think the same applies. I don't have room to add on adapters. Already have that and it makes the whole thing too long.

Again I ask...how do I seal up a short piece of radiator hose that I need to use here?

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I've never needed to seal up any radiator hoses for sewage use, so I don't really know. I'm betting that once this hose is in place, you won't want to have to change it again.

How great is the need for flexibility when installing this thing? The reason I ask it that I used flex pvc for my head. If you can install a short piece of flex pvc over the barbs, then install the elbow with pvc solvent last, you may be able to make it work. Flex pvc is almost impossible to fit over a barb but it can be done. I heated the pvc with a heat gun, being careful not to burn the pvc, then used a little 4200 as lubricant to help slide it over the barb. Install the clamp while the pvc is still soft, and you're in business. No stink and no leaks.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've never needed to seal up any radiator hoses for sewage use, so I don't really know. I'm betting that once this hose is in place, you won't want to have to change it again.

How great is the need for flexibility when installing this thing? The reason I ask it that I used flex pvc for my head. If you can install a short piece of flex pvc over the barbs, then install the elbow with pvc solvent last, you may be able to make it work. Flex pvc is almost impossible to fit over a barb but it can be done. I heated the pvc with a heat gun, being careful not to burn the pvc, then used a little 4200 as lubricant to help slide it over the barb. Install the clamp while the pvc is still soft, and you're in business. No stink and no leaks.
Flex PVC? Never heard of it...if it will do a short radius 90d bend, I'll put it on the Y-valve hose barb and then connect it straight to the Trident hose with an adapter.
Still concerned with 4200 attacking the plastic hose barb.
You say you clamp the flex pvc. Is it soft like hose? If I can get it on the hose barb without the 4200, will it seal with just a clamp?

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Flex pvc AKA spa flex is a wonderful thing.

I got mine at Home Depot, along with the pvc fittings needed to make it work.

if you worry about the 4200 attacking the barb, find another sealant that won't. Or call the 3m to see if it's compatible. You might want to consider teflon pipe dope.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to Lowes. FlexPVC or SpaFlex is hose similar to some of the waste hose sold at the marine supply houses. I bought a foot and have it in a Workmate bending it. It might make a good enough radius but I'm not sure. I'll heat it up and bend it more and more, we'll see.
I need an elbow.

Still looking for ideas on sealing a short piece of radiator hose. Epoxy paint?

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Went to Lowes. FlexPVC or SpaFlex is hose similar to some of the waste hose sold at the marine supply houses. I bought a foot and have it in a Workmate bending it. It might make a good enough radius but I'm not sure. I'll heat it up and bend it more and more, we'll see.
I need an elbow.

Still looking for ideas on sealing a short piece of radiator hose. Epoxy paint?
If you try to seal radiator hose, whatever you use to seal it will crack in time. Then you get to smell it until you replace the hose. When I first mentioned hose from the auto parts store, I was thinking about the water inlet from the seacock to the head, not the waste hose.

The waste hose at marine stores IS flex pvc. It's just cheaper at HD or Lowes, plus they have a selection of fittings, glue, etc.

I wouldn't try to bend it tight enough to need heat. Use an elbow. A standard pvc elbow works great, and is cheap. Plus you can get them in 45 or 90 degrees. The only thing you'll need heat for is to stretch it over the barb, then clamp it tight before it gets hard again.

BTW, when gluing pvc you will need to use primer before the glue. Most of the primers our there are colored (usually purple), so look for clear primer. The colored primer will stain whatever it drips on forever.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts