SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these Furuno multi function displays. It currently is hooked up nicely to my radar, but since the yard monkeys that decommissioned my boat cut all my GPS antennas it has no GPS signal. Consequently it beeps at me all the time telling me the signal is lost. I'm pretty sure the pattern of beeping is morse code for "please buy me a GPS daddy!" ;)

I'm not familiar with what kind of network/NMEA or whatever interface this guy has. Hopefully the photo of the back is helpful.

Do I need a dedicated (cheap and cheerful) GPS mushroom antenna or could I use the new AIS that I want to get with built-in GPS to supply it with information? Or perhaps a VHF with GPS built in?

Here is the AIS (with GPS) that I'd ideally like to get some day. EM TRAK MARINE ELECTRONICS B100 AIS Class B Transceiver | West Marine

MedSailor

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I have one of these Furuno multi function displays. It currently is hooked up nicely to my radar, but since the yard monkeys that decommissioned my boat cut all my GPS antennas it has no GPS signal. Consequently it beeps at me all the time telling me the signal is lost. I'm pretty sure the pattern of beeping is morse code for "please buy me a GPS daddy!" ;)

I'm not familiar with what kind of network/NMEA or whatever interface this guy has. Hopefully the photo of the back is helpful.

Do I need a dedicated (cheap and cheerful) GPS mushroom antenna or could I use the new AIS that I want to get with built-in GPS to supply it with information? Or perhaps a VHF with GPS built in?

Here is the AIS (with GPS) that I'd ideally like to get some day. EM TRAK MARINE ELECTRONICS B100 AIS Class B Transceiver | West Marine

MedSailor
What gives you the impression the existing GPS antenna cables can't be spliced? GPS cables can either be spliced with tiny butt connectors; or, via a junction block. We have both on our boat. Just match the wire colors and use heat shrink butt connectors and/or an enclosed/protected junction block. It's really a no brainer.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What gives you the impression the existing GPS antenna cables can't be spliced? GPS cables can either be spliced with tiny butt connectors; or, via a junction block. We have both on our boat. Just match the wire colors and use heat shrink butt connectors and/or an enclosed/protected junction block. It's really a no brainer.
I could certainly try it. Nothing to loose I guess. They really cut off all these connections very short though. :mad:

Got any links to waterproof connection boxes that I could mount outside?
Medsailor

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I could certainly try it. Nothing to loose I guess. They really cut off all these connections very short though. :mad:

Got any links to waterproof connection boxes that I could mount outside?
Medsailor
Good gravy. It isn't that difficult a problem, Buy yourself a fist full of 22-24 Gauge heat shrink butt connectors and 16"-18" or so of 8-10 gauge adhesive heat shrink tubing. Cut a 6"-8" length of the 6-10 gauge tubing and slid that over the longer end of each of the severed cables. Then make your splices in the individual cable wires, staggering them to the extent possible. Once the splices are made, power up your devices to ensure the connection are good although they most likely will be. Then use a ladies' hand held hair-dryer set on high to shrink the tubes on the butt-splices. Once they shrink and cool off, spray them with a little SailKote, let that dry and then work the larger adhesive heat shrink tubing over all (hence the SailKote), centering it on the center of the splice bundle, and zap that with your hair dryer for a few minutes and you're done. You can find heat shrink butt connectors and adhesive heat shrink tubing at most any Radio Shack or electronics shop. Stop at any GoodWill outlet and you can find a hand held ladies' hair dryer for $5 or less (BTDT). T'aint rocket science and can be accomplished in less time than it takes to explain.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good gravy. It isn't that difficult a problem, ... T'aint rocket science and can be accomplished in less time than it takes to explain.
All true, but you listed enough tricks that will likely make the whole job go a lot smoother. I've tried to kludge tiny electronic wires together before (do a depth sounder transducer) and it didn't go well.

Thanks for the tips!
MedSailor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts