SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys in the spirit of adventure and intelligent discussion

I would love input on desigining a small windlass for 3/8 chain and 200 feet or so of nylon rode

has to be made by either modifying an EXISITING 2 speed winch(I have a few to spare)

or from scratch in the simplest manner using stainless(at least for the shell and mount

anyone with any positive input and or experience welcome

any free designs or mechanical chain retrieval systems using non traditional methods out there welcome too:)

Im still young, so cranking a winch is ok for now, its for a medium sized racer cruiser...about 14k displacement

thanks much:)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
If I were designing a manual windlass from scratch, I would make it pedal-powered, like a bicycle. You grab the bow pulpit instead of handle bars, and you start pedaling. No chain bicycle chain, just flip-out pedals that go to reducing gears, then to the wildcat.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were designing a manual windlass from scratch, I would make it pedal-powered, like a bicycle. You grab the bow pulpit instead of handle bars, and you start pedaling. No chain, just flip-out pedals that go to reducing gears, then to the wildcat.

Regards,
Brad
I am a an avid mountainbiker(after doing offroad motorcycles) and have the legs I guess

now Im not quite getting how to install a pedal operated windlass but I LOVE THE MANUAL PEDALING ASPECT of your suggestion

I could care less what the cruisers next to me when anchoring think I might be doing:) jajajaj

it would be funny to see for sure!

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
An idea would be a self tailing sail winch or adding one of those self tailing rubber parts that I found on Barton marines site they are called winchers. Sorry can't cut and paste links on this cheap tablet Google Barton marine winchers you may be able to get something similar there or have it made

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it that simple newhaul? I know what you are talking about...but how do you lead a vertical windlass or winch and self tailer...

same as a standard windlass?

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
is it that simple newhaul? I know what you are talking about...but how do you lead a vertical windlass or winch and self tailer...

same as a standard windlass?
Same as a standard sail winch from the bottom up to the wincher then to the locker I don't know for sure but the winchers appear easy to duplicate and I don't see why it wouldn't work you would just have to manually haul the chain or figure out a gypsy for that may even be able to make the Wincher work on BBB chain as well

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Hey guys in the spirit of adventure and intelligent discussion

I would love input on desigining a small windlass for 3/8 chain and 200 feet or so of nylon rode

has to be made by either modifying an EXISITING 2 speed winch(I have a few to spare)

or from scratch in the simplest manner using stainless(at least for the shell and mount

anyone with any positive input and or experience welcome
Sorry, but I must be missing something? You have already said you have an existing 2-speed winch.

It should not be very difficult at all to either make a new gypsy to take chain at the bottom/rope at the top using the existing drum as a template, or just modify the existing drum.

Sheet-winch drums are usually cast, but if you have a stainless one and some skill with a welder you can probably weld some teeth and a guard around the lower part of the drum, put it back on the internals and mount the winch on the foredeck in the usual spot. You then crank up your anchor with an ordinary winch handle and don't need anything special.

Of course, it will be no good as a sheet-winch again - but you said you had a few to spare!...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Christian, you might want to PM Brent for the plans for his manual windlass. It looks a lot like the one in the link you posted. It has the advantage of being able to hold chain, rope or steel cable (I think he mentions it can hold more than 500ft of cable). It looks easy to build in stainless and should be bulletproof.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, but I must be missing something? You have already said you have an existing 2-speed winch.

It should not be very difficult at all to either make a new gypsy to take chain at the bottom/rope at the top using the existing drum as a template, or just modify the existing drum.

Sheet-winch drums are usually cast, but if you have a stainless one and some skill with a welder you can probably weld some teeth and a guard around the lower part of the drum, put it back on the internals and mount the winch on the foredeck in the usual spot. You then crank up your anchor with an ordinary winch handle and don't need anything special.

Of course, it will be no good as a sheet-winch again - but you said you had a few to spare!...

Im bad remembering winch size numbers but they are 2 speed used for main halyards and or jib halyards they are under the dodger as po had lines led aft and standard at the mast...so I have a "few" to spare they are about 8 inches tall and 6 wide...

they are stainless "cast" I beleive...one is older bronze...would the bronze be easier to braze stuff on it? like the gear and or gypsy teeth?

:)

thanks much!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Christian, you might want to PM Brent for the plans for his manual windlass. It looks a lot like the one in the link you posted. It has the advantage of being able to hold chain, rope or steel cable (I think he mentions it can hold more than 500ft of cable). It looks easy to build in stainless and should be bulletproof.
I think I will do this too...he has a book but by the time I ship it down here and read it it will be a little to long

Id be glad to pay for plans for sure!

the pic I posted uses a dc motor, but a manual crank would be just fine too

500 feet is way more than I need in these areas 250feet is way more common and even not needed..I use to lay 100 feet of chain back in 2000-03 everywhere in central america.:)

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
It would be easier however I don't think they would take the stress of use

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would be easier however I don't think they would take the stress of use

are you reffering to my spare winches? yeah they are old...maybe not SUCH a wise plan

it would be cheap though....

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
IMHO, nothing beats an electric winch with chain. (And make that traditionally-undersized chain. See a recent thread on weight-of-chain not doing much, versus more lenght/less weight on the bow.)

With an electris winch and chain, you can anchor with out leaving the helm, then set the anchor with the engine in reverse. If the anchor doesn't set, you raise the anchor and repeat, all from the helm.

Of course, since we got a 60# Manson Supreme, I've only had to raise-and-repeat once or twice. So maybe the above is more pertinent if you still have an old CQR that you should use as a doorstop instead. :)

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: christian.hess

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
The bronze would be easier to base to however that would never stand up to the riggors of use the only that would work is by welding and gig welding bronze is a tricky and complicated process use one of your other winches.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
If I were designing a manual windlass from scratch, I would make it pedal-powered, like a bicycle. You grab the bow pulpit instead of handle bars, and you start pedaling. No chain bicycle chain, just flip-out pedals that go to reducing gears, then to the wildcat.

Regards,
Brad
Well since Russell Johnson just died this sounds particularly appropriate. Sounds like something the Professor would have come up on Gilligan s Island. I can see it now with Gilligan pedaling like a mad man trying to get the anchor up, and it breaking loose and over the side he goes!

But here is a pretty well designed manual windlass, seemed to have worked for thousands of years. Here is a nice clear technical drawing:

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are those meditation hands?

dont know what this all means but if its about hand over handing an anchor I did that for 3 years on my old wooden boat....I was 19 and sometimes even I had trouble...the boat weighed close to what my current boat displaces but anywhoo Ik with a kid and wife now, so it has to be some sort of windlass

looks like brents book will be the way to go for now

unless I take the plunge an desing it myself from ideas on the net or modify one of my winches

I might go that route first as well got nothing to loose but my time on that option

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im actively very actively looking at all manual drum designs right now...in stainless and it has to have a free fall gear and either use an existing winch handle or all new...

budget is around $300 to make or what I can afford right now

well see!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Here's a pic of my manual winch in operation:

Mine is pretty reliable. Not only does it have no difficulty in retrieving a 15 kg Bruce anchor with 30' of chain and up to 250' of nylon rode, it can also clear weeds etc. (as shown) and rinse out the anchor locker and deck after muddy retrievals.

When properly installed this windlass can also function as a shallow-water warning system and, when situated in the cockpit, a heeling alarm. Mine is also programmed as a proximity alert system.

I have had great success in using this device as a main halyard winch as well as a head-sail sheet trim adjustor.

I am working on re-programming my windlass so that it can function as an auto-helm. Last season it was able to take the boat out of the marina. This year I hope to tweak the program to enable the system to dock the vessel.

There is a glitch somewhere in the wiring that prevents the system from being utilized as a navigational aid.

The challenge with re-tasking the system is that I am relegated to performing its previous functions. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts