SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Doc that performed my surgery is a really good friend.

He owns a 1974 Dufour 35, the old good looking IOR designs.

He decided to, instead of buying a new boat, to have this one stripped down by Delmar Conde and have the boat rebuilt as a classic.

He needs, obviously to save money, a used sail for this boat.

I know in the US, there are companies that sell used sails.

Can you guys please help me help a friend, and throw in here a few of the lofts you know that sell used sails...or where to locate one?

It doesn't have to be the exact sail, but a similar sail can be re-cut for his boat

I leave you here with the drawing of the sail plan with all dimentions, in metric.

Thank you in advance

Alex

·
Registered
122 Posts
G,

In Costa Mesa, Ca. you can try Minney's Yacht Surplus. The web site is
HTML:
[URL="http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com"]http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com[/URL]
. They have ton's of surplus stuff plus a huge selection of used sails. If the link is not working you can IM me and I will send you back the phone number. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Bacon and Atlantic are the two I checked out before I found that racers will give you free sails because a bird pooped on them or they are more than three races old.

Alex, tell your friend to see if there are racers in Portugal with either "slightly used" composite sails or Dacron sails they folded neatly ten years ago that will fit his sail dimensions. If he is cruising, he won't care if he is sailing to a rating or merely CLOSE to a rating, and the loft charges to alter sails are pretty minimal.

In the above picture, the sails are from a C&C 35 and a C&C 34R. They cost me a total of $350 to alter to fit my boat and the main lasted me five years...before I got a two-year old Dacron main that fits nearly perfectly (the foot is six inches too long...so what?) that a racer put away when he went to a Kevlar main. I still use the No. 3 and I have now a No. 1 in Mylar and a spare mylar main awaiting recutting. All free to me, because sailors put stuff away instead of throwing it out, but they also throw out things that have "life" in them.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
IIRC, bacon sails also has a wide selection of used sails.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I love that place, but be sure to take mesurments with you.

Stainless nuts and bolts by the pound--mix and match.

Originally Posted by swadiver
G,

Minney's Yacht Surplus.

Love that little hole in the wall :cool: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts