SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did it !! By mistake we filled diesel tank with water. Tank (200 lts) was completely full of diesel, but water hose filled for about 2 min until noted. We see some diesel out of venting cap, but certainly some find its way down the tank. Please oppinions on how fix this ..... waiting to leave dock. Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
oh explicative

i would start with disconnecting the fuel line at the filter and drain it till you get nothing except fuel. from there i dont know, lots of water separators in line ???

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is there a possibility of getting a fuel polishing service at the marina you are at? It may make you stick around an extra day but would be good to do anyway.

·
19,489 Posts
Given time the water and fuel will separate - if you have an inspection port you might try syphoning off the very bottom area of the tank until you get only clear fuel, and then buy a passel of extra fuel filters and work your way through what's left.

If you haven't run the engine since it's unlikely any water has gotten into your pickup system yet... if you take the water directly out of the tank you could get lucky.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Pumping out the bottom of the tank into jerry cans and using a fuel/water separator filter funnel when returning it to the main fuel tanks may take care of the issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, amazing but after 30+ years sailing, this is our first time. I noted the mistake before we start engine, so no issues here. Tank has no inspection port as this is made of black plastic, molded under the bunk. I removed fuel line from Racor, and connected to a oil transfer pump. Initial diesel was clean, then became milky , so when inspecting the bucket, I noted some water at botton. I removed already 96 liters of diesel contaminated, and with pump I could remove the entire tank. We decided to leave it rest this night and will restart pumping tomorrow morning. Unfortunately we have no means to re-use the diesel, so we plan to dispose at gas station (inside our marina). We're considering really to remove everything. Thanks again ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts