SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help identifying make/model of this diesel on a Newport 30? I think they were built with an Atomic 4 so the boat has obviously been re-engine'd. Engine mounts look solid. Are they original?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hello,

I used to own a 1986 Newport 28. My boat came with a Universal Diesel M18. The engine in your picture does look like a Universal Diesel.

Barry

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Barry, Thanks for getting us in the zone. This Newport is a 30 from 1982 (approx) so think is a Mk 2. Sailboat data com shows only Atomic for this model but guess they changed at some point in 80s. So this may be original engine rather than re-engine'd Atomic.

I'm hoping someone can ID the model. According to CO, engine runs but needs new fresh and salt water pumps. Oberdorfer replacement is about $360 so I'm assuming about $1000 for both pumps plus old hose replacement. Heat exchanger will need careful inspection. Anything else I should know? I have no experience with Universal engines.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Hi Barry, Thanks for getting us in the zone. This Newport is a 30 from 1982 (approx) so think is a Mk 2. Sailboat data com shows only Atomic for this model but guess they changed at some point in 80s. So this may be original engine rather than re-engine'd Atomic.

I'm hoping someone can ID the model. According to CO, engine runs but needs new fresh and salt water pumps. Oberdorfer replacement is about $360 so I'm assuming about $1000 for both pumps plus old hose replacement. Heat exchanger will need careful inspection. Anything else I should know? I have no experience with Universal engines.

Thanks in advance.
If you look carefully there should be a nameplate somewhere on the engine. It would very very unusual for an engine not to have a model and serial number marked on it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hey,

Here is a pic of the engine from my Newport 28.

There SHOULD be a label with information on the engine.

See this pic.

The label is behind the thermostat housing.

The M-18 is a 2 cylinder. If you have a three cylinder (you can see tell that this engine is a two cylinder because there are two fuel injectors, 2 glow plugs, etc) them you most likely have an 5421 or maybe the M2-30/

The good news is that the oberdorfer pump is not specific to the engine. The same pump was used on a number of engines and it should be pretty easy to source a new one. Note that if you look hard enough you should be able to find one for $200 or so. And for the coolant pump you can source a Kubota water pump (the engine block is from a kubota tractor engine) for a whole lot less. At one time I had a parts list cross listed with Kubota parts.

From my experience (with the engine on my Newport and the Universal Diesel on my O'day 35) the engine is a good little unit that will last a long time and be very reliable.

Barry

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Barry. I did ask CO for manufacturers plate info but only received the picture I shared. Boat is about 4 hours driving away so carefully trying to asses from a distance is hard work and you need to go at the pace of the owner. Also think this may be someone selling for another person (elderly parent?) so detail may be scarce. I will persist and report anything useful that I learn.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
That is a (very sketchy looking) Universal. Depending on the number of cylinders, and the displacement (which you can find on the right side of the engine block casting) it is either;
a 5411 (31 cu in), a 5416 (45 cu in) - 2 cylinder or a 5421 (68 cu in) - 3 cylinder

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
I did ask CO for manufacturers plate info but only received the picture I shared. Boat is about 4 hours driving away so carefully trying to asses from a distance is hard work and you need to go at the pace of the owner.
Are you looking for pics to decide whether to visit, or have you seen it and are following up?

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Minnewaska
This is pre-visit. If I'd seen it, there would be lots of my own photos and I would have found the nameplate. That said, I've seen some boats where the plate was removed or painted over so that you could not tell. So arms length by email so far.

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
eherlihy
Thanks for narrowing things down. Original design was 13-14 hp so I'm guessing this will not be 3-cylinder.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
You do you; but, if I were considering the purchase of this boat, the engine pictured in post #3 would give me a reason to walk away.

Reactions: The Big Cat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only see two injector pipes in the photo so looks to be a 2 cylinder. the Atomic engine was a Universal. There may have been other Atomic engines though? I have a 4 cylinder Universal 5432 (Kubota) and it has an Atomic name plate on it. I suspect thats what SailBoatData was referring to. There is no question its a Universal/Kubota engine.

I paid about $50 for a brand new fresh water pump. They are easy to find. The raw water pump may just need cleaning/ new impeller or might just be blocked. Might be worth asking why the owner thinks the raw water pump needs replacing? They are pretty easy to clean up/service.

If water flow is not coming out the exhaust and thats why the owner thinks it needs replacing then the problem is probably easy to fix and may have nothing to do with the raw water pump.

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
If water flow is not coming out the exhaust and thats why the owner thinks it needs replacing
The picture shows very noticeable rust below both the raw water and coolant pumps. They've been leaking for a long time. It does say something about the care of this vessel.

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the support. To clarify for some who do not know: This is a used boat, 800 mile round trip from my location. Before deciding to make the trip (or any trip to see a boat), I try to assess what I might find and what that might do to the amount of work to bring the boat up to a reasonable standard (and what it will do to asking price). I've looked at a lot of boats in the last six months including making offers, hauling and surveying. Along the way, I've learned a lot, including visual evidence of care, knowledge of the owner, willingness to engage etc. I can now assess many items for myself and have much longer checklists for the first visit. In this case, both the boat (Newport) and engine are unfamiliar to me. I can assess the hull, deck, rig, sails, steering etc, but not the "lump". General opinions of design of the Newport are readily available on line and by video on Youtube. So the engine becomes the critical item for remote assessment.

In this case, I will probably not make a visit as I can't get reasonable response from the Owner (or as I suspect the Owners representative who does not know the boat and may not be a sailor). Their loss, not mine.

Bad Orca, thanks for the detailed analysis and suggestions. Well spotted on the 2 cylinder info. Eherlihy identified the "zone" and I assumed 2 cylinder due to horsepower related to original engine design as documented in Sailboatdata dot com.

Regards All and good winds for 2021

·
Registered
464 Posts
The blue color is stock on Kubotas. Universal painted them bronze over the blue, Beta painted them red. So probably has been repowered with a Kube engine with the marine parts from a Universal added. Note the air cleaner is Universal bronze. If two cylinder that would would appear to be an M18/5416, that's a Kubota Z600 engine. Can't be a 5411/M15, they didn't have a freshwater pump, only the raw water pump either Oberdorfer (as pictured) or Sherwood. The Sherwood was a POS so anyone retrofitting would have used the Orberdorfer. If 3 cylinder (I can't tell in the photo) it might be one of the M25 series, Kubota D850 or D950 engine.. I did a similar repower on my boat a couple years ago. Used Kubota D850 engine, Overdorfer raw pump, Universal bell housing, and trans and exhaust mainfold / heat exchanger as used on a Beta. I call it a Universal M25/ Beta 25 hybrid. It's the same color blue (without the rust). And I agree anyone who would let the engine get that nasty probably didn't fix anything else either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts