SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that these connections are for an auto tiller, I just don't know which model. Ideally, I'd like to find a used model so as to utilize the connections and wiring already installed.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
9,073 Posts
Looks like a 12 volt DC receptacle. If one whole is larger than the other (polarized), it is the positive one if wired correctly. Probably high amp for a searchlight or wheel pilot.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a 12 volt DC receptacle. If one whole is larger than the other (polarized), it is the positive one if wired correctly. Probably high amp for a searchlight or wheel pilot.
I'm positive that it's for an auto tiller. The second picture shows the hole on the cockpit seat that it fitted in to. The opposite side has the exact same set up (the hole in the seat and the power connection). What I'd like to identify is the make and model...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm positive that it's for an auto tiller. The second picture shows the hole on the cockpit seat that it fitted in to. The opposite side has the exact same set up (the hole in the seat and the power connection). What I'd like to identify is the make and model...
Why would it have two holes and two connections with each being on opposite sides?

That is definitely a 12v outlet. Maybe the AP was adapted to use it. Which really means you should be able to use any AP that only requires a 12v pos and neg terminal. Of course you will need to verify that the existing wiring can handle the load of the AP.

Here some info on Dolphins with APs. http://www.dolphin24.org/technical_custom_tiller_bracket.html

Check the link below

Welcome to Engel Land - Engeland - a World of Engel Portable Fridges & Freezers - Australia

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Why would it have two holes and two connections with each being on opposite sides?

That is definitely a 12v outlet. Maybe the AP was adapted to use it. Which really means you should be able to use any AP that only requires a 12v pos and neg terminal.
I'll second the notion that it is a polarized 12V outlet. I use one just like it on my boat for a sealed beam searchlight. Like Tim R says, you might power a 12V AP with it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That is definitely a 12v outlet. Maybe the AP was adapted to use it. Which really means you should be able to use any AP that only requires a 12v pos and neg terminal. Of course you will need to verify that the existing wiring can handle the load of the AP.

I also do not believe those pin holes are far enough away from your tiller to be used for an AP. Your turning radius would be very limited. There should be a corresponding hole in your tiller that is in line with the one in the seat. It should also be close to the same elevation.

Check the link below

Welcome to Engel Land - Engeland - a World of Engel Portable Fridges & Freezers - Australia
Fortunately for me, the PO replaced the tiller, so the new one does not have the AP connection. If these holes opposite each other are not for an AP, what do you think they are for?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There is a place over in San Pedro that repairs AP's , I'll get the number from my friend . He told me about it . You might be able to get a rebuilt one from them . PS I have a outlet like that and it is for a search light.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Fortunately for me, the PO replaced the tiller, so the new one does not have the AP connection. If these holes opposite each other are not for an AP, what do you think they are for?
No idea but one of them certainly could have been used for an AP. Have checked with folks over at the dolphin 24 website?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a place over in San Pedro that repairs AP's , I'll get the number from my friend . He told me about it . You might be able to get a rebuilt one from them . PS I have a outlet like that and it is for a search light.
Thanks, Mark! Give me a call...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No idea but one of them certainly could have been used for an AP. Have checked with folks over at the dolphin 24 website?
I haven't yet, but I will. Seems that the consensus may be that these power outlets are for a spotlight. Still can't figure why there would be two in such close proximity...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts