SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya'll might remember a thread some months ago started by a guy whose Pearson 36 got loose, drifted up a creek and sank? Well, I'm going to raise that boat this weekend, and I need some help. Here's a list of things I need to make it happen:

1) A boat, preferably 2 or 3. We may need to inflate tubes, bags, etc. on the fly, so I need to be able to carry items 2, 3 and 4. A skiff would be ideal. A power boat to help extract her from the shore might be needed.

2) A compressor - pressure is not the key, but volume and low weight are essential.

3) A generator, to power the compressor.

4) A pump. A very high volume pump, gas or electric.

5) Floatation bags, and/or truck and tractor inner tubes, anything that can be tied onto the boat and inflated to give lift. Got an old water bed mattress? I hear they are ideal.

6) A pressure washer (by the time we get to this point, victory is ours!)

7) A place to wash her down and tie off for the night. I don't know how far we'll get or how fast we'll be moving.

It's near Johns Island. High tide is 6 a.m., low at 1 p.m., high again at 8 p.m. Rescue starts at 8 a.m.

Burgers and beer for all who help (AFTER - we're going to be safe and sane about it), and a day you will NEVER forget. Come to think of it, I might need a gas grill.....

Who's in?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
285 Posts
If I had all that stuff I'd do it myself. Good luck. I was down there a couple months ago, It looked then llike the boat had just sunken.

You should wait, the moon is in perigee, we're having higher than normal tides. Hence the coastal flood advisory. Wait until Appogee, if you get a low enough tide where you could get the water/mud out then seal it up best you can and use the mast as leverage to try to get the boat to float some as the tide rises. The mast and rigging on that thing is massive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need Volunteers!

I wish I COULD wait, but DNR is breathing down this guys neck - it's now or never. If I have enough guys and a good pump, there will be a victory party Saturday night. If you are near Johns Island and want to pitch in, we have openings, will train.

John

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I wish I COULD wait, but DNR is breathing down this guys neck - it's now or never. If I have enough guys and a good pump, there will be a victory party Saturday night. If you are near Johns Island and want to pitch in, we have openings, will train.

John
Good luck - remember that Home Depot and Lowes carry the tools to rent. For pumping, if you can not get commercial items some fish supply houses carry AC pumps that will forgive the sludge (requires a generator obviously) that may help . I remember Johns Island - grew up in the area.. Also consider going to those discount tire places for intertubes.. some of which will just appreciate the publicity...There is also a a local chapter for salvage for just for what you are doing - that maybe of help...google it...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Professional Salvage

I read somewhere else a professional salvager was coming to get her tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rescue is a NO-GO

I hope you're right that a pro is on the way.

Some new photos (today) by a local guy show the boat in much worse condition and much farther in the water, so I'm not the right guy for this job. Too bad for everyone, but ya gotta know when to fold 'em.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts