SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
could be the water lubed the swivel but I would still be a bit concerned about what condition it is. it still could have halyard wrap but the lower swivel is just a bushing and should not make it jam. the other thing to consider is that the forestay tension does change depending how you tighten the fib halyard which could effect the way the upper swivel works. I have seen bearings that are smooth when loaded bot get stuck when allowed to run without a load on them. this happens on sheet blocks when the ball bearings get worn and the ball bearings have flat spots on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I hauled the jib up now that it is spinning and it unfurls just fine but gets halyard wrap towards the end (was probably the problem to begin with).

I have played with loosening the yard and rolling and unrolling as well as keeping tension on the sheets when furling and almost every time it gets wrapped. Good news is I can unfurl it now, lol. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
It may be the angle from sheave to top of furler.
Can you raise furler higher to increase angle?
Avoid bale on mast if possible
Agreed. If there is too much exposed halyard and it parallels the forestay it will be inclined to wrap. It is more likely to happen if the sail is too small.

More halyard tension, not less, will reduce the tendency to wrap, assuming the swivel is not binding under load.

One solution to prevent halyard wrap is to install a bullseye fairlead a few inches below the sheave box at the masthead and run the halyard through it. That will increase the angle differential between the halyard and the forestay, thus preventing it from wraping.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Put a lashing of thin Dyneema between tack and roller drum or between head and top swivel. Easy to do it at the bottom first to test for correct length, then you can do it at the top when length is okay.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.