SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Usdoll
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to find a couple who would like to sail with us on our 43 foot Beneteau. We are asking that you pay $10 per day per person to help with expenses. We will subsidize the rest. We are looking for people who would like an enjoyable easy cruise. There is not much work to do. We do most of the work but we do need some help. We have lovely accommodations for the lucky couple, including your own head. If you have the time and want to sail, give us a hello. My name is Lynn Barnett and you can reach me at [email protected]

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just curious, but is your boat US-flagged or Canadian flagged?

Also, are you a USCG licensed captain?

The reason I ask, is that if your boat is US-flagged, and you're not a USCG licensed captain, requiring crew to pay to crew is probably illegal. Also, you probably shouldn't post your e-mail address in machine-readable form, unless you like spam...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just curious, but is your boat US-flagged or Canadian flagged?

Also, are you a USCG licensed captain?

The reason I ask, is that if your boat is US-flagged, and you're not a USCG licensed captain, requiring crew to pay to crew is probably illegal. Also, you probably shouldn't post your e-mail address in machine-readable form, unless you like spam...

Dog, I could be wrong, but I think it's OK for a crew to "share expenses of the boat" (e.g. food, dockage, etc) and it's not considered paying for a passage. The important part is that they are crew, not passengers -- i.e. they are sharing responsibility for sailing the vessel; and, that they are sharing expenses not paying a fixed fee for the the passage. At $10 / day / person doesn't sound like it would even result in a break even for the boat. People who crew with me ususally drink more in a day than that -- but, thankfully, only after the hook is down.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts