SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
We live in Costa Rica, and we are trying to start the first adults sailing school in the country. We have a chance to get a decent older hobie 16 to use to teach lessons, and we need help to do it. We've got a campaign running to help raise the money, but I thought I'd ask here for any ideas, suggestions, & advice since I've never done this before.
Thanks!
Fair winds
Kris (Captain K)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I can't advise you on fundraising, but for the sailing instruction, you may want to consider getting a monohull sailboat to go along with the Hobie. A big part of teaching sailing is how to tack upwind, and the monohulls will be better at this than a multihull, and hence a better teaching tool for that aspect of sailing.

Best of luck.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Kris,
There are so many details and elements for getting a sailing school up and running and even those of us who might have some notion some of these wouldn't know which bases you would already have covered or not, what sort of operation you are thinking of, and what the rules are for such an operation in Costa Rica.
So many variables... Rules, permits, procedures/SOPs, venue/local cooperation, insurance/risk management/forms, qualifications/screening/training of instructors, related business experience, safety/emergency procedures, types or level of instruction, whether you want to be independent or affiliated with other organizations, advertising/customer recruitment/web presence, profit/not-for-profit status, boat maintenance, ongoing funding needs beyond initial boat(s), tax status/citizenship/work permits, .... and the infamous et cetera.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.