SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back my wife decided to become a sailor so I began searching for a boat. We picked up a 22 Chrysler swing keel & stored it at my shop while she learned everything she could and I got the boat ready. Meanwhile I found a really cool looking little 13 foot boat on a trailer and thought this would be a good little starter boat. As I began restoring the fiberglass hull and having the sails freshened up I came to realize from experienced people that a 13ft boat with a 20ft mast & two sails is probably not a good self learner. So we got a Sunfish and she is off to a good start. Now I have this boat ready to shake down and would like to find someone in the Jax. FL. area that might be able to help make this a safe and enjoyable experience. I have been told it is an English racing boat but nobody seems to know what it is, including Google. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks. I hope I am doing this right for your forum, again Thanks.

·
Barquito
3,686 Posts
Wish I could help with the sailing part! How about some pictures of the boat in question. I bet there is someone on this forum that could ID your boat. (paste in an IMG code from photobucket to post pictures)

Welcome to Sailnet!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Boat has a bad case of uglies but looks like would be fun to sail after you get everything working again. Boats like that are not hard to figure out how to rig and sail. Just use small sails to get started or you will get wet often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, the last two pics are at Sailors Exchange where I had it Rigged. It's been stripped, sealed,and painted with Interlux Largo blue and ready to go.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Looks like the boat has a NJ registration. If you call their boat registration office they should have more info on the boat, like the make and maybe hull number. I have a 14' Holder with a 19' mast and a little more beam then your boat. It is not hard to sail at all but when wind gets above 15 mph you have to really pay attention. I have a slightly smaller set of sails for windy days and that helps a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jersey does not have records going back to 1982, also there was a decal from a resort but it closed in 1973 so I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Oh, I see now. Great restoration job!
I might keep the boom a bit lower. Less convenient but better sailing and less heel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts