SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for HELP. I would like to purchase a Uniden WHAM for a West Marine VHF550 for my husband for Christmas, but can not find one. Please, if anyone has any leads that would help I would be very appreciated. Thanks in in advance. Diane Also WISHING A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Dmarina...RIGHT HERE!!

http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/647?search=1&category=Electronics|electronics.jpg

or in Black:
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/32941?search=1&category=Electronics|electronics.jpg

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
I bought a radio last spring and had planned on going with a WHAM mic. Even back then, vendors were not supplying them anymore. I got the impression, after looking around on the web, that the manufactures were accumulating a lot of unhappy customers. I ended up installing a small cockpit speaker for monitoring the radio and then a handheld up in the cockpit for close in communication.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wham

Cam - Thanks for the info, but I was told the WHAMx4 would not work with a West Marine VHF550. If the one you have will, I'll be more than GLAD to buy it thru SailNet. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hoping for HELP. I would like to purchase a Uniden WHAM for a West Marine VHF550 for my husband for Christmas, ...
The Uniden wireless remote access mic will probably only work with Uniden radios or, possibly, Uniden radios re-branded--if such a thing exists.

I don't know if there's a wired or wireless mic option for the WM radio in question. Either an on-line search of the radio's specs or a knowledgeable WM rep. should be able to tell you that.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
SemiJIM-

WM rebadges other brands for their own electronics. For instance, I have a Garmin 276C Plus, which is co-branded with West Marine, and not sold elsewhere. IIRC, their older handheld radios were made by Uniden.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Uniden builds the radio for West and Wham is compatible.

Dmarina...sorry...you are correct that the Wham4 will not work with your radio. Fortunately...Amazon has the original Wham in stock:
Amazon.com: Uniden WHAM Wireless Microphone for Polaris and Oceanus Marine Radio

Might want to read the review on that particular mic at the bottom of the page. It wasn't very flattering.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As camarerie aluded to, Unidens later Wham4 mikes are greatly improved over the earlier offering, Unfortunately the damage has been done and the Wham mikes, even the newer versions are 'tarred with the same brush"!

I worked in wireless communications for 11 years with similar equipment and I was impressed with the ease of assigning the Wham4 to the radio and the performance.

Unfortunately, 2.4GHz is a license free band used by many different devices, cordless telephones, wireless internet devices etc. This can lead to performance issues, particularly in a busy marina environment where the devices are first tested. But get them in a less radio intense environment on the water and they perform as expected.

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts