SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey Logan,

Probably going to need more than that picture. It'sbviously a trailer boat, get us a brand name and size (length) and there will be someone here with knowledge.

Dave

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
We can't tell you anything. From that view, I can't even tell you the make of the boat. since it is sitting on a trailer, I'm guessing it is in the 20-25 foot range and definitely has a swing keel.
Can you tell us the make and model? What kind of outboard does it have?
If there is no brand name on the boat, look for the hull ID # that most likely be on the upper transom on the starboard side.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
After you get us more details on the boat, tell us what your plans are for it. Where do you plan to use it and how are you going to use it. Afternoon sailing, occasional overnights, weeks at a time or live aboard. If you plan on spending a fair amount of time on it, what creature comforts to you require and does the boat have what you are looking for?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
From the size and the fact it's on a trailer, the rounded bow pulpit, the single line lifelines, and their general ubiquity, it looks like it may be an early Catalina 22, like this:

Catalina 22 sailboat for sale
The C22 did come to mind when I saw the picture, but I would like more info on the boat. Without more info from the OP, it could be the perfect boat for the guy or the absolute worst. We just don't know enough to give the guy any advice-guidance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am currently not around the sailboat. My father in law has it at the shop of the business he works for. The owner told me I could have it and that I just need to pick it up. I am going to pick it up this weekend and I will have more detailed information for you. You guys have already been very helpful. I'm excited to see what else you can tell me about it after I have more details.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
It's definitely an older Catalina 22. It has the rounded pulpit and the slight drop in the deck right at the bow and the windows.

Here's a picture of my 1974, you can see it all matches up:

·
Barquito
3,663 Posts
For the OP: The Catalina 22 is a very common boat in this range. That means there are a lot of resources for fixing it. Google Catalina 22 with the limiter site:sailnet.com.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's in a shed.

It hasn't been out of the shed in some time.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I wish there was a filter on this website, that just took posts like this and funneled them to a category with all the other first-timers who can't use google common sense or aren't willing to spend at least a few hours searching for answers of questions that get asked repeatedly every month.
That seems to be a lot harsher than it needs to be. If you don't like "Need Help" threads from new users simply don't read them.

Here's what I can tell you about the boat. It's almost certainly a first-generation Catalina 22. They made over 15,000 of them from 1970 to 1995. The one in your photo looks modestly clean (cleaner than mine when I bought it, if you noticed the scum on the waterline from the photo I posted earlier). It's has a trailer, which is good.

Most Catalina 22s have a "swing keel" which is a 550lb cast-iron fin that is lowered for sailing and raised up into a slot beneath the boat for trailering.

The boat and trailer together probably weigh between 3000lbs and 3500lbs so you can tow it with any full-size truck.

They are a popular and fun boat. You can go over to SailboatOwners and sign up for that form and get loads of help, without encountering grumps like Philzy up there. Catalina 22 - SailboatOwners.com

A couple lessons might not be a bad idea. ASA 101 is taught on boats that size and that would be all you'd need to get going.

Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. You must sail alone. Idk why you felt the need for that explosion and I can understand why you have only have four thanks to your name. That was just a waste of our time and rather embarassing for yourself. I clearly know how to use google. That is how I found this forum.

Anyway. Idk what my intentions with the boat are yet. Idk what they are worth. I know it's free and I'm just trying to get some information about it to prepare myself. I won't know the true shape the boat is in until I get home. I'm hoping it's mostly complete.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Logan, I agree with Minnesail. Stick around here, and be sure to join the Catalina 22 owner's forum. In both places you'll get a lot of very good feedback and advice. And you'll occasionally get nasty comments too. Learn to let those roll off your back as much as you can.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Wow. You must sail alone. Idk why you felt the need for that explosion and I can understand why you have only have four thanks to your name. That was just a waste of our time and rather embarassing for yourself. I clearly know how to use google. That is how I found this forum.

Anyway. Idk what my intentions with the boat are yet. Idk what they are worth. I know it's free and I'm just trying to get some information about it to prepare myself. I won't know the true shape the boat is in until I get home. I'm hoping it's mostly complete.
I don't any standing rig but its missing you might find the rig worth more than the boat

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Logan, I agree with Minnesail. Stick around here, and be sure to join the Catalina 22 owner's forum. In both places you'll get a lot of very good feedback and advice. And you'll occasionally get nasty comments too. Learn to let those roll off your back as much as you can.
Agree totally with the C22 forum. I have a Catalina 34 and I can't tell you how helpful the C34 owners forum has been both before and after buying my boat.

I might add, if you have any buddies who know their way around sailboats, you might want to have him join you when you go look at the boat.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Logan:

From the pics it looks like you have a mast atop the pulpit which is a good thing. When you pick the boat up, I would spend a little time poking around in the shed looking for piles or boxes of "boaty" bits, like genoa cars, blocks, lines and other stuff that may have been removed--that stuff tends to add up quick if you have to buy it. If it is made of stainless, aluminum or teak, it probably belongs with the boat. Check to make sure the boom and tiller are there if possible and make sure there are no sails laying around or being used as tarps for other equipment--sails are not cheap at all and if you can lay your hands on a full set, or at least the main and one jib it will save you tons(at least a couple grand).

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The hull/deck joint and the pop-top piece doesn't look right to me for being a Catalina 22. There should be a Hull Identification Number (HIN) embossed on the starboard hull under the deck hoint and near the stern. Copy it down and we can find out exactly who built it and date of manufacture. There also may be a registration paper tacked up somewhere in the cabin. Be sure to take lots of photos so we can kibitz on what you got.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll echo what nighthawk said...definitely take your time and look around that shed for related "boat bits". A few years (or months...or for me...days) after storage...the memory fades where everything is located. Definitely check for at a minimum: rudder, sails, outboard motor, mast, boom, cushions, lines and any additional gear that is boat related. This could save you quite a few boat bucks... Also...check the tires and wheel bearings on that trailer before you tow it anywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys have all been awesome. I will make sure to take lots of pictures and get as much information about it that I can. Hopefully everything goes as planned and I can get an idea of what I have and what I need. Thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts