SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentley rolled up my jib without the sail on it. How do I get it down so that I can put my jib back on?

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Not sure I understand the question. Did you pull up the halyard?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Not sure what you did??? Can you elaborate? How do you roll up the jib without the jib on it... the jib is the sail??
I accidentley rolled up my jib without the sail on it. How do I get it down so that I can put my jib back on?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My guess is that he pulled the furling line out of the drum? The solution would be... feed the line back around the drum by turning the drum by hand?

edit: on second read, the halyard interpretation seems more likely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last season as I was taking down my sails for winter storage, I removed my sails and accidentally rolled up the the halyard to the top of the mast. Now as the season is beginning, I realized my mistake and cant figure out how to get the halyard down so that I can put back on my jib.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you did??? Can you elaborate? How do you roll up the jib without the jib on it... the jib is the sail??
Last season, as I was preparing my baot for winter storage, I was taking off my sails when I rolled up the halyard after I removed my jib.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Ahh... you accidentally let the halyard go up the mast... well, unless you can drop your mast, it is time for you to learn how to use a bosun's chair. Don't try going aloft unless your boat is IN THE WATER.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So a halyard gone aloft. Everyone's had it happen at some stage.

SD do you ever sleep?? You post all day/ all night - or do you have staff who do the night shift?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Actually, there are four of me... and we're robots... :) Be aware that one of us is very cranky unless properly fueled with caffeine. :) But, he's not on duty right now.
So a halyard gone aloft. Everyone's had it happen at some stage.

SD do you ever sleep?? You post all day/ all night - or do you have staff who do the night shift?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well Cheers SD, from one insomniac to another. I am located directly below you, where it rains uphill apparently. We have a sailing cat, (a furry one), not a multi hull thing.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If you can go up on spare halyards, that is one way. If you don't have 2 spare halyards (one for you and one for safety), then you might need the yard to crane you up. Hopefully the marina you are at has a crane truck that can take you up.

If you have only one spare halyard, you could risk going up without a safety line or perhaps try to use the spare halyard to hook onto the lost halyard. Rig a line on the spare halyard to be able to pull it back down, send the spare up with a hook of some sort and try to snag the lost halyard. It might work and it might not. Worth a try.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
LOL... I like cats of both kinds... but don't have one myself. My boat is a trimaran... weird looking thing with training hulls.. My wife used to complain that she was married to an insomniac... I do sleep...just not much and not anything resembling normal hours. :)

Well Cheers SD, from one insomniac to another. I am located directly below you, where it rains uphill apparently. We have a sailing cat, (a furry one), not a multi hull thing.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you can go up on spare halyards, that is one way. If you don't have 2 spare halyards (one for you and one for safety), then you might need the yard to crane you up. Hopefully the marina you are at has a crane truck that can take you up.
Another option is to use a high bulkhead or dock to help retrieve the halyard. My friend used a low bridge that is just adjacent to our marina... it was almost the perfect height for me to get his halyard down off the masthead.

If you have only one spare halyard, you could risk going up without a safety line or perhaps try to use the spare halyard to hook onto the lost halyard. Rig a line on the spare halyard to be able to pull it back down, send the spare up with a hook of some sort and try to snag the lost halyard. It might work and it might not. Worth a try.
If the halyard has been pulled all the way to the sheave...no hook is generally going to work. Only opposable thumbs can generally deal with that. :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
1. I have a theory on that. You must be keeping watches (4 on, 4 off etc). 2. Cats are great company and brilliant at predicting weather changes
3. Let sleeping wives get as much sleep as they need. It makes life easier.:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bosans chair it was, was able to retrive my halyard and receive quite a view from the top of the mast. Thanks all. think I will buy my own bosans chair now.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A more cost-effective alternative to a traditional bosun's chair is a rock-climbing harness. Serves much the same function at a fraction of the price. :)

Bosans chair it was, was able to retrive my halyard and receive quite a view from the top of the mast. Thanks all. think I will buy my own bosans chair now.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You climb the mast, or careen the boat, or pull up next to something high enough to reach it from, or if you are really lucky, you hoist a ball of duct tape up on the closest stay with another halyard, and when the tape sticks, pull it back down with a downhaul. (Gotta do a little sacrificing to the halyard gods before you can hope tha twill work.(G))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts