SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I need some ideas on where to spend Thanksgiving sailing, and after checking airfares from upstate NY (Albany, really upstate!) to anyplace really warm, I took those places off the table. I am off from the day before Thanksgiving to that Sunday, five days, so we can leave Tuesday night, two days before Thanksgiving.

We are very novice sailors, been sailing all summer but always with a more experienced sailor, so we would like to go to a place where we can take some lessons for a couple of the days, and then maybe rent a Soling or J type boat for the last day or two. We are over 14 hours to the Carolinas, so they are out. I was thinking the Chesapeake, but I don't know if there is any sailing still going on down there around Thanksgiving. I know it gets cold there, but cold is relative. (We sailed last Saturday on Champlain, did a race, and it was 37 degrees at the start!) But marinas and sailing schools may be closed by Thanksgiving.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
Nancy

·
Advanced beginner
458 Posts
I think you'll find that while some folks in the Chesapeake region do sail past mid-November, the majority of sailors winterize their boats right before then. I don't know of any marina locally that rents boats or holds classes past late-October. That doesn't mean you might not find one, but it's unlikely.

Unfortunately, heading further south from this region puts you on a plane. (I drive from DC to Albany a lot, trust me that you don't want to drive much further than that). But if you want to sail in late November, that's probably what you'll have to do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'll find that while some folks in the Chesapeake region do sail past mid-November, the majority of sailors winterize their boats right before then. I don't know of any marina locally that rents boats or holds classes past late-October. That doesn't mean you might not find one, but it's unlikely.

Unfortunately, heading further south from this region puts you on a plane. (I drive from DC to Albany a lot, trust me that you don't want to drive much further than that). But if you want to sail in late November, that's probably what you'll have to do.
Oh, bummer. That's what I was hoping against. Any suggestions for good marinas for lessons and rentals not too far from a major airport in the Carolinas?? I already checked Florida, and I can't even find a flight!!
Nancy

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Call Free State Yachts in Deale MD. They don't generally do charters anymore but they may be able to hook you up with a boat that has diesel heat.

Otherwise just run through all the usual Chesapeake charter companies. Someone may be able to help you.

Pack your woolies.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Free State Yachts in Deale MD. They don't generally do charters anymore but they may be able to hook you up with a boat that has diesel heat.

Otherwise just run through all the usual Chesapeake charter companies. Someone may be able to help you.

Pack your woolies.
Thanks...will give them a call. Much appreciated!
Nancy

·
Administrator
7,536 Posts
Turkey?

:laugher

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
bell ringer
5,024 Posts
I would be thinking of places that normally have good air ticket pricing in general. From Albany I think that means Florida!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts