SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first sailboat, a 1974 Ranger 23 TM. I must buy a new headsail as it did not come with a 150% Genoa. I found this used sail for $425.

North Sails
LUFF 29'5"
LEECH 28'10"
FOOT 15'3"
7.5oz. cloth
Rope w/ #2 hanks
double stitched seams, leather at head and tack, sewn-in corner rings, LP=14.25'

My main sail is original and is torn at a seam. I found a main from a Ranger 26 that might fit. This one is $480.

WestWind Sails
LUFF 26'2"
LEECH 28'
FOOT 9'5"
6oz. firm
3/4" external slides shackled on luff, 3/8" bolt rope on foot wih 3/8" Clew slug, Stuck-on numbers, 2 draft stripes, Logo, Jack line, top full batten with bottom three partial, two reefs at 3'10" and 7'8".

The measurements for my boat are:

I = 30'
J = 9' 10"
P = 26' 7"
E = 9' 10"

However the online data says it is:

I = 30.00
J = 9.70
P = 25.75
E = 9.17

I would imagine that these sails I've picked would work well on my boat, however this is my first time buying sails, and I am very much a beginner. Are these quality sail makers? do the battens/reefs make sense? Is it the right weight cloth? Do they seem like a good price as well?

Thanks for the input!
-Keith

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
At those

At those prices used I'd contact Dirk at National Sail Supply first! You might be able to do brand new for not that much more...

Just as an example Dirk sells a brand new Catalina 22 main for $465.00 and a 150 genny for $450.00.. These sails are not far off the size for a Ranger 23.. Those used prices look rather insulting if new is not much more...;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
An alternative opinion.
Those prices are not too bad. sailwarehouse is offering new sails at that size for around 750 for the main and a little bit more for the genoa. I do think that the genny is a little heavy for your boat. IMHO you need something in the 5/6 oz range. Bacons in annapolis ( and I have no connection with them other than as a customer) has used sails in approx those sizes for about 100 less. I note that your quote does not give the condition of the sails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sails are both 90% + life left. I found them on Atlantic sail traders. I thought that the 7.5 oz for the head sail might have been too much. Thank you for the responses. I will keep up the search!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got a new roller furling sail from Atlantic Sail Traders and they were great. I couldn't find the used sail I wanted and the new sail wasn't much more than some of the used sails around. I suggest that you check them for new sails too. I have nothing to do with them other than to attest to the new sail and customer service I recieved from them.

Harris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this sail over at bacons...sounds like it would be a fun sail.

Luff 29' 6" Foot 14' 11" Leech 28' 9" Head 0' 0" Price $ 375.00

GENOA, 3.4 oz TRI RADIAL MYLAR/KEVLAR BY NORTH. 2" BRONZE HANKS SET TO GROMMETS WITH VINYL PROTECTORS ON COVERED ROPE LUFF. LEECH AND FOOT LINES. TELLTALE WINDOW. PEEL OFF NUMBERS AND DRAFT STRIPES. VERY MINOR DELAMINATION NEAR FOOT. BLUE BAG. GOOD.

What does delamination spell for a mylar/kevlar genoa?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Keith, you can get a bargain in a used sail IF the sail is within hands reach so you can eyeball it yourself. And IF you can confirm the measurements and draft are right for your boat. And IF you know how to evaluate the sail, i.e. to see if the draft is blown out, or the material worn, or a laminate starting to break down. Delamination means the sail should be used for kitty litter, SKIP IT.

Otherwise...return shipping can be a price killer, all by itself. Sometimes going with a new sail, made to your spec, by a lesser loft, can be an awfully competitive thing. We've used Atlantic Sail Traders in Florida, who also make new sails very competitively. (Be warned, their glued sails, as opposed to sewn, won't last as long as sewn seams do.) But they can offer new sails for not a lot more than good used ones.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Delamination means the sail should be used for kitty litter, SKIP IT.
Bingo, delam on a laminated sail means you're on barrowed time. Might last a season, or might last one race in a good blow. A little delam becomes a big tare mighty quick, especially at the tack where you have a big load (halyard and sheet pulling it apart). That sails been on bacons for a few months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
National sail supply can make both sails for less than $600 per sail with a 3-5 week construction time.

Mainsail - 5oz dacron, top 2 battens full, 1 reef - $599

150% Genoa - 4oz dacron, hanks on luff - $585

My question now is how should I have the battens and reefs set up?

Should I have them make the leach longer on the main to increase sail area? Or do you think they have a stock pattern for my specific boat on hand and I shouldn't worry about it?

Thanks for the responses!

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Why do you want a bigger main?
Adding roach would be a better bet, but you need to look at your backstay to see how much you can add.

Nice quote, I forget how cheap Dacron is sometimes.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Do you plan to race? If so don't add the roach as it may complicate your chance of you getting a PHRF rating as these will be based on your boats performance with a standard sail area. You could get more full battens to help hold sail shape in light wind though.

·
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
302 Posts
For new sails, Dirk at National Sail Supply had the best prices. He is sourcing his sails from Rolly Tasker in Thailand. I bought a light #1 from him yrs ago and it was of good cloth and craftmanship. A lot of big name lofts are also doing this. For racing sails, I would recomment Kame at Pineapple Sails in the SF bay area. For used sails you can even find decent sails on Ebay. The composite sails will hold their shape until they creep, fatigue or are flogged to death and then delamination occurs. Dacron can be recut/ broad seamed, mylar delams,,well not so easy to salvage. Good luck and get out on the water when you can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts