SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a place to buy Optimist spares and useable parts for the season, for my son.

He needs:

1 Olympic Radial Ray racing sail,
1 New Rule Epoxy daggerboard
1 tiller extension

Do you guys happen to know the cheapest place to get these in the US?

Thanks

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah..I hope...the problem is these sails cost $600.00, and the dagger around $400.00, so I have better use for my Chicago fair money now..

BUT..it's a good idea!! I may just do that..Wonder if Olympic sails will be there

·
Poltergeist
179 Posts
Have you looked at Annapolis Performance Sailing? I did a quick check, and they have an extensive selection of one-design parts, including the Optimist items you're looking for. Check them out on the web.

Kurt

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Are you allowed sponsorship??

An American company may be looking for inroads in Europe.

Your are not asking for a handout but showing an advertising benifit by them giving you the things you need.

Price of a sail $600
Cost of a sail $300
Amount of advertising in publications purchased for $300 very very little.

Yeah..I hope...the problem is these sails cost $600.00, and the dagger around $400.00, so I have better use for my Chicago fair money now..

BUT..it's a good idea!! I may just do that..Wonder if Olympic sails will be there

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
^ ^ ^

This is a good idea, but you would have to discuss this thoroughly with the governing body of amateur sailing in Portugal.

You would also have to figure out if it's worth it to put added pressure on Fred just to save a few bucks, and whether such a move would cause jealousy among his team mates.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may also want to have a look at David Mas's website . He is a good sailmaker and spar distributor. He was in the Athens Olympics with the Spanish team. I don't know if he was also in Beijing (I haven't seen him in a while). His wife was years ago the Spanish champion in Optimist and she is coaching an Optimist team, including their son Santi, who was Optimist Spain's Champion two years ago and did a good European Championship (I don't remember his final position). Similar age to Fred, I would say, and a hellova sailor too.

With the Euro-Dollar current rates it may still be better to buy in the US, but have a look at the prices (they are displayed in the website).

(I know you don't like Spain. Me neither. But since they are based in the Barcelona outskirts, you can consider you are crossing two borders if you approach them).

BTW, David is definately more a craftman with his little shop and a few employees doing a good job than a businessman: his website socks, and they don't speak English (he definately doesn't, and I don't know if someone in his shop does), but, you know, we are all old romans speaking not that different dialects...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts