SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Reaction score
Here is some of the least inexpensive rope I have found. Cajun Ropes » Cajun XLE They have different types but the XLE is the "high" quality stuff. For your sheets I would do either 1/4 or 5/16. On my Lido 14 I opted for 5/16 because it is easier on the hands and 1/4 felt a little too small to me. For all other lines I went with 1/4". I have received the lines and am Very happy with them. When I ordered them it took a couple weeks for him to respond so don't get frustrated if it takes some time.

Edit: You could also get away with the Dinghy braid but they only offer it in 1/4 as the biggest size.

· Registered
62 Posts
Reaction score
Braided is best for running rigging. It's the lowest stretch, won't kink as much, and is much stronger for the same size. That being said if you opted for 3 strand it would probably work just fine. That boat probably originally had 3 strand on it. Is there a reason you will need to splice it? Braided is much more difficult to splice but if you had to you could always do a whip splice.

· Registered
62 Posts
Reaction score
Yep on both my Halyards that is how I attached the line. On a small boat like ours there isn't a huge amount of tension on the halyard. Although in the pictures it looks like they are using it to attach the line to a big boat.

In terms of which line I would go with. It depends on how much money you want to spend. If money isn't a big concern I would instantly go with New England Ropes. It's probably one of the highest rated rope. For my climbing ropes I have purchased in the past I only trust New England. Just like anything you'll probably get people recommending all sorts of rope.

Because I'm a cheapskate I went with Cajun Ropes. After pricing them out it cost about 40% less than New England. I haven't had any problems with them yet but I'm on my first season. Someone else in the forums recommended them to me.

Edit: Oh! And if you want to try splicing the braided rope here is a great PDF created by NE Ropes. http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf If you were going to try your hand at splicing I would probably order the line a little longer than needed in case you need to try the splice a couple times. In the guide it tells you how much line is required for the splice so you can judge how much extra to get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.