SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the COOLEST boat ever while out sailing today. Ketch rigged, wishbone booms, bowsprit for the jib, and a hull kind of like an old square-rig ship, even down to the raised quarterdeck and rudder hung from the transom. Length seemed to be around 50', and she was pretty beamy. Fast, too. Anyone have an idea? Sorry, didn't have a camera, or I'd upload a pic.

What kind of boat is this, I MUST KNOW! (So, you know, I can imagine it's mine while I'm out in my little Venture 17!)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Is this it?

It's a 40' Freedom Yachts Cat Ketch.

Here's another one:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sorry Alex you don't know but They are really fast...see that travel lift...VROOOMM VROOOMMMM! up, and AWAY! Almost as fast on land, as long as the lifting straps don't let go!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our boat!

So I googled Freedom 40 to find a picture of our boat under sail, and I found a picture of our boat on your thread! :)

And we're all heading south in less than 7 days.

She was a fixer upper and badly neglected when we bought her. 3 years later, she now has a full cockpit enclosure with zip off panels, a remodeled interior, a kick ass water maker that runs off a Kubota engine (and puts out 40 gph) a huge freezer and fridge and a bow thruster (came with the boat but we got it working again.)

And my husband did all the work himself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We're leaving from the Annapolis area and heading down the ditch. My husband wants me to experience the ditch at least once. We'll hang out in Sebastian, FL with friends until February and then we'll cross over to the Bahamas.

Our hope is to be in the Abacos for Spring.

If all goes well and the boat does what she's supposed to do, we'll aim for Europe next summer. But one plan at a time. So far, leaving the dock is proving to be the hardest task, but we're determined. I still have loose ends to tie up from my old life, and hubby has a few minor projects left on his list.

And I'm working on the pictures. :) Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay - the original interior was covered in this old vinyl burlap textured crap. Underneath was rotted plywood. Egads!!

We do/did not have the kind of money to hire a professional to redo the interior, so we had to make do with our budget and resources, without going cheesy. I'm very pleased with the results!

The cushions look dirty, but they're not - something with the camera.

George bought teak plywood and enclosed that empty space above the settees and installed smoked plexiglass sliders. Now it's functional! I merely sanded and varnished.

The original Fuller Brush Co. ports were improperly installed and leaked. We bought all new ports (couldn't afford the bronze unfortunately) and George installed them and had to tear off and sand down all the rotted plywood. THAT was a project from hell.

The stove is a brand new 3 burner gimballed lpg Seaward that fell off a Boater's World truck and was warped. We got it when the store was closing out for about $200. :) George loosened all of the bolts, stretched everything out with a ?? (can't remember what it's called - kinda like a jack) and then tightened everything back up. It's not warped anymore.

Why the giraffe skin accent? Because we never want to take ourselves too seriously. hahaha!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks Great K.. grats to you and Geo!
Hope you have a blast heading south..

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Sweet. I've been in and around Marsh Harbor, by plane and ferry. Great area, nice people. I've got the boat and plan to be along in a few years.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah but you can't tow it with a station wagon and it won't fit in a one car garage.

:)

-sealover (also with a Venture 17)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts